Installation

Why are there mis-scaled 'Single Value' content in all dashboards after upgrading to Splunk Ent 8.2.5?

apietersen
Contributor

Hi,

After upgrade to version Splunk Ent  version 8.2.5: All "single values" in all dashboards do not scale anymore relative to the height, showing max fontsize, not honouring the height of the panels. All dashboard suffering with this issue. Checked it on other Splunk instance and have the same issue. Already created a support-request.

Any suggestions in the meantime?

regards AshleyP

Labels (3)

apietersen
Contributor

Update:

-=-=-=-=-=-
It has been confirmed that it is a bug. 

"The fix has now been merged and will be available in the 8.2.6 release for you to be aware it is planned to be release on April within 4th to 10th."

-==-=-=-=-=-

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello. I see that 8.2.6 was released today and the Fixed Issues section says this bug is fixed. I have not confirmed this.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/ReleaseNotes/Fixedissues

2022-02-15SPL-218996, SPL-207039Single Value Visualization on Dashboard displays smaller font
0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Hi Burwell,

Thanks, Yes I have seen it and installed it on a test instance. Its looking good again.

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

I also see the problem with Splunk's own dashboards.
Here an example from the monitoring console:
http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/splunk_monitoring_console/scheduler_activity_instance

They are using:
<option name="height">80px</option>

The text under the the numbers is hidden:

2022-04-03 12_58_29-Scheduler Activity_ Instance _ Splunk 8.2.5.jpg

And here my test dashboard:

<dashboard>
  <label>SPL-219946</label>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <single>
        <search>
          <query>| makeresults count=1 | eval id = random()</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
        <option name="height">50</option>
      </single>
    </panel>
  </row>
</dashboard>

Splunk Version 8.2.5

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

BTW: I can reproduce the problem in version 8.2.4

All you have to do is to set version="1.1"

<dashboard version="1.1">

As desrcibed here

It seams to be related to the jQuery 3.5 update.

Tags (1)

apietersen
Contributor

Hi andreasz,

Thanks for the finding and Geez, what a pity that this was not previously known to support or was mentioned before in any tips or documentation.

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

Hi apietersen,

thanks for the update regarding version 8.2.6!

Version 8.2.5. is a lot of fun 😞

This is what I get using TrackMe

trackme.png

And here using Metricator for NMON

image.png

Additionally some of my tables with custom JavaScript (SimpleXML BaseCellRenderer) aren't working anymore. Still looking for solution 😞

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Hi andreasz,

Wish you succes and a lot of fun L 😊
Dashboard Studio is/was promissing but is does not appears a full grown alternative to me yet.🙄

Nb. Will also look into your suggested links , although I am completely windows based 👍

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

Hi apietersen,

I'm not a big fan of Dashboard Studio myself. Everything is so "clunky" and all the differences between the Cloud and On-Prem Version are simply frustrating.

We're trying to use the Splunk UI Toolkit , which gives you full freedom to implement Single Page Applications (SPA) using the React technology. But you need React Developers for that.

Regarding Trackme App:  you definitele have to check it out. It's propably one of the best apps in the Splunk Store and very usefull.

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Hi andreasz,

Thanks for the tips, again 🙂  I'll definitely look into it. I have no experience with Splunk Cloud yet, it is still on my to-do list. But would you say it offers a more user-friendly, efficient, powerful and integrated visualization environment?

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

I'm using Splunk On-Prem. All I know is that the On-Prem Dashboard Studio Version is always behind the version in the Cloud.

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

update:

I have build a new VM (windows10 + latest updates) with a fresh Splunk Ent 8.2.5 and did copy one of the effected dashboard to that new instance, this is the result:

mis-scaled single values: see screenshot

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

not sure what you mean!?

AP

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Update, 

Nb, after a week finaly had a zoom meeting with Splunk support:

-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-

*** Zoom meeting details:3/15/2022 ***

-> Confirmed values are not scaling.

-> Confirmed customer is getting java errors.

-> Issue is impacting all dashboards

-> Customer wants a work around or solution.

-> Issue is that the single values (all single values) in dashboards are not honoring the height

-> Tried restarting the Splunk instance, it did not work.

-> After upgrade to 8.2.5 starting this behaviour.

Next Steps:

Since we have confirmed about getting also java errors and as per my previous findings it could be related, also by confirming this started after the upgrade and those dashboards were working normally with single values before, I will expose this case to senior engineers just to see if there is a possibility to be a bug which is what it looks like at the moment and hopefully we can get a fix for you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did support happen to provide a jira for this?

I have the exact same issue and may need to also log a ticket 😞

Also version 8.2.5, single value scaling is the issue...

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Hi gjanders,

No reference to a Jira was mentioned to me.

This was the latest email answer reported back to me by support engineer:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I did expose this case to senior engineers and it looks like this issue could be related to a bug already adentify, however we need to validate this other possibility just by confirming a couple of simple questions: 

1. When you upgraded to the Splunk version 8.2.5, which was your previous version? 
  2. Are these Custom dashboards you built?  or are this related to the below app? 

App: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/

We just need to isolate the app part just to make sure 100% since if we are talking about custom dashboards then there is a workaround related to it since it will validate the bug issue, senior engineers confirmed there is an issue that, when you migrate or upgrade to this newer version, the dashboards  run into java scripts errors.

-=-=-=-=--=-=-=

In the mean time busy with re-designing the most relevant 100+ dashboards by replacing 'single-value ' panels for 'table' panels .

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for reporting on this. It is so useful.

What version did you upgrade from where the issue was not there?

apietersen
Contributor

Hi Burwell,

Version 8.2.4, as I try to follow all new versions when they are released. 

apietersen_0-1647541331774.png

release notes were missing,

apietersen_1-1647541508124.png

but googled it and found it some where else:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/ReleaseNotes/Fixedissues 

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Also new to me since upgrade to 8.2.5:

custom-java-error.PNG

where can I find the Developer Console?

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe they are referring to looking at Javascript errors

https://javascript.info/devtools

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...