Installation

Why am I getting error "Operation not permitted" while accepting the license in Splunk on Linux Ubuntu?

Yogen

Hi,

I am a newbie in Splunk. I faced an error while accepting the license for Splunk. I am using Linux Ubuntu OS. The details of the error are as shown below:

This appears to be your first time running this version of Splunk.
Moving '/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules.new' to '/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules'.

An unforeseen error occurred:

Exception: <type 'exceptions.OSError'>, Value: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules.new'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1150, in main
    parseAndRun(argsList)
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 997, in parseAndRun
    retVal = cList.getCmd(command, subCmd).call(argList, fromCLI = True)
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 280, in call
    return self.func(args, fromCLI)
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/control_api.py", line 30, in wrapperFunc
    return func(dictCopy, fromCLI)
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/_internal.py", line 160, in firstTimeRun
    comm.moveItem(migration.PATH_UI_MOD_NEW, migration.PATH_UI_MOD_ACTIVE)
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli_common.py", line 855, in moveItem
    ensureDeletable(src)
  File "/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli_common.py", line 892, in ensureDeletable
    os.chmod(oneItem, os.stat(oneItem).st_mode | stat.S_IWRITE)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/home/yogen6116/download/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules.new'

I have tried many times by giving access rights to all the files and directories and still the above stated error occurs. Can anyone help me to solve this error?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Check if the user you are using to install the splunk has right permissions on the folders /home/yogen6116/download/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules

Which user you are using? and can you list the directory permissions on the splunk installation directory (from base)?

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

The related post https://answers.splunk.com/answers/412211/first-time-running-error-mac-os.html supplied one solution: one must 'sudo -- chown -R /opt/splunk' so that the Splunk installation is no longer owned by the 'splunk' user but by the user that is trying to run splunk.

I suspect another solution may be to join the splunk user to the user's group (sudo adduser splunk ) or vice-versa (sudo adduser splunk).

Why is this not done by the Debian postinst script of splunk-6.4.1-debde650d26e-linux-2.6-amd64.deb?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Check if the user you are using to install the splunk has right permissions on the folders /home/yogen6116/download/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules

Which user you are using? and can you list the directory permissions on the splunk installation directory (from base)?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

Yogen

Thank you, Renjith for the reply. It works for me now.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

You are welcome ! So it's a permission issue ? Please mark as answer so that the thread will be closed

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...