Installation

Where to install Qualys TA in my deployment?

LM_ACN
Engager

Good morning everyone,

for my customer, i have a Splunk deployment as follow:

1 Search head

3 Indexer in cluster

1 Monitoring Console/License Master/Master node

I need to integrate our Qualys solution with Splunk, but i'm reading the Technology Add-on should be installed on a forwarder. However, we do not have an Heavy forwarder.

Hence, could i install it on an Indexer? Is data replication still available for index qualys?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A few points:

* Never install data collection module on Indexer for data collection.

* Recommendation is that you have to do the data collection on Heavy Forwarder in the case of TA Qualys.

* But if you don't want to install a separate instance, the next place would be to install on Seach Head. 

* If you install on SH you need to make sure that you are forwarding the Search Head logs to indexers - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/DistSearch/Forwardsearchheaddata

Second point:

* The Add-on does not have an index anymore so you have to create a new index "qualys" as you mentioned from the Cluster Master as you do with other indexes.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A few points:

* Never install data collection module on Indexer for data collection.

* Recommendation is that you have to do the data collection on Heavy Forwarder in the case of TA Qualys.

* But if you don't want to install a separate instance, the next place would be to install on Seach Head. 

* If you install on SH you need to make sure that you are forwarding the Search Head logs to indexers - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/DistSearch/Forwardsearchheaddata

Second point:

* The Add-on does not have an index anymore so you have to create a new index "qualys" as you mentioned from the Cluster Master as you do with other indexes.

0 Karma

LM_ACN
Engager

Thanks for the solution, Vatsal.

So i need to create two indexes, one on SH and the same on IDXs via Master node, that's right?

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need on both:

* Only the indexer will store the data.

* On search is not compulsory, but it is only needed so when you type index=, you will see qualys as suggestions on the Splunk search bar.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...