Installation

What are the steps to upgrade Enterprise Splunk from 6.2 to 7.0 (single indexer and search head on Windows server)?

divyamudundi
Path Finder

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our Enterprise Splunk from 6.2.0 to 7.0. We are currently running single indexer and searchhead on windows server which are on 6.2 and we have forwarders running on linux and windows servers which are on 6.2.5 .

If I have to plan the upgrade, what is the order that i need to follow? i:e upgrade indexer first and than forwarders?

Also I would like to know if there is a runplan or steps on how to upgrade the indexer? and the dependencies and requirements that I need to be aware of while upgrading?

I am reading a lot of doc's but i'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Divya

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"A single indexer and searchead" <-- do you mean a single windows box? Or do you mean a single indexer box and another single searchhead box?

Short version: Make backup. Confirm backup. Upgrade Splunk (if they're only one server) OR Upgrade Search Head, then upgrade Indexer (if they're separate). Later you can and should upgrade the forwarders.

LONGER VERSION:

If the former - one single server for both roles, then you have no clustering so just download the new Splunk version and upgrade it. Here's the link in the docs that starts you off. Before pulling that trigger, though, read what will change when you upgrade to 7 first. Most of these things shouldn't affect you, but read through it anyway. Then, obviously MAKE A BACKUP and test it! After you have a known-good backup, you can proceed to upgrade your server (which is literally just download it, double-click it and click next a lot.)

Your forwarders can be upgraded any time later - it's best to keep them more or less up to date, but they'll work against 7.0.2 as they are (as long as they're version 6).

If the latter - you have a Splunk Indexer and a Splunk Search Head, then do the above steps - did I mention to make sure you have a good backup? - but you'll do the Search Heads first, then when they're done do the indexers. It shouldn't be any more complex than that.

Also as with the former case, then later yuo can do your forwarders, but no hurry.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"A single indexer and searchead" <-- do you mean a single windows box? Or do you mean a single indexer box and another single searchhead box?

Short version: Make backup. Confirm backup. Upgrade Splunk (if they're only one server) OR Upgrade Search Head, then upgrade Indexer (if they're separate). Later you can and should upgrade the forwarders.

LONGER VERSION:

If the former - one single server for both roles, then you have no clustering so just download the new Splunk version and upgrade it. Here's the link in the docs that starts you off. Before pulling that trigger, though, read what will change when you upgrade to 7 first. Most of these things shouldn't affect you, but read through it anyway. Then, obviously MAKE A BACKUP and test it! After you have a known-good backup, you can proceed to upgrade your server (which is literally just download it, double-click it and click next a lot.)

Your forwarders can be upgraded any time later - it's best to keep them more or less up to date, but they'll work against 7.0.2 as they are (as long as they're version 6).

If the latter - you have a Splunk Indexer and a Splunk Search Head, then do the above steps - did I mention to make sure you have a good backup? - but you'll do the Search Heads first, then when they're done do the indexers. It shouldn't be any more complex than that.

Also as with the former case, then later yuo can do your forwarders, but no hurry.

0 Karma

divyamudundi
Path Finder

Thank you for the response rich7111.

We have both(one Indexer and a searchhead) on a single windows server. ( No clustering involved ). And we have around 600 GB of Indexed (Cold/thwaed) data.

I will check with the team taking backup of existing Indexed data. Incase if its not a feasible option, updating the Indexer should not effect the Indexed data right?

Thank you
Divya

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Actually it does affect indexed data in this case - I think it was 6.3 or 6.4 that when you upgrade through/past it actually does change/upgrade something in the indexed data. (BTW, this process can take a while - be patient!)

But right it shouldn't affect the data in a way that's likely to break it.

But backups aren't for "When things work right." Backups are for exactly when things don't work as planned.

Soapbox starting:

So I will say nice and loudly - if you aren't backing up your Splunk box, and its data, then you need to start doing that. A system that isn't backed up is as good as gone, because it WILL go away at some point.

Soapbox done. You've been warned. But you honestly can make whatever decision you want. It'll probably be fine. This time. 🙂

0 Karma

divyamudundi
Path Finder

Thank you Rich, for your valuable inputs, i am making sure that necessary backups are taken for Cold data indexes.

Also I want to check with you,regarding the forwarders, At this time we are only upgrading the Indexer and searchhead but not the forwarders, Our forwarders are on 6.2.5, we should not be having forwarding issues from forwarders on 6.2.5 to Indexer on 7.0.2 I believe, but can you please confirm as well.

Thank you,
Divya Mudundi

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. Here are the docs on UF to Indexer compatibility and they explicitly mention in the middle of the second section that ...

An indexer that is version 6.6 or later, including 7.0, can receive data from a forwarder that is version 6.0 or later, including 7.0.

And that fits with what I've experienced. Obviously, I can't guarantee that, but I am pretty sure you shouldn't have any issues.

0 Karma

divyamudundi
Path Finder

Thank you so much Rich.

I hope it works , because we will be upgrading the forwarders later during deployment of apps via chef.

Thank you,
Divya

0 Karma

divyamudundi
Path Finder

In our Case Updating the indexer should also upgrade search head right. Because it's all on one server.

Divya

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...