Installation

What are the effects of License violation?

mustafag1
Explorer

I am having trouble understanding whether there are any issues caused by violating a non enforcement license. All Splunk enterprise editions after 6.5 have a non-enforcement license automatically. You get a violation after 5 warnings and indexing continues even after violation of license. Since the there is no enforcement, the search features are still enabled.
I am confused on whether there is any issue for someone simply using Splunk with a violated license and if so what are they?

I know free license can give you a 30 day lockout but enterprise does not seem to have any.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are using the no-enforcement license, then every license violation is reported to Splunk and the result is that salesmen will eventually begin calling you (and rightly so). That's it. There is literally No Enforcement.

Having said that, I have heard rumors that some people have tested this and that there really is a limit where searching will be blocked to enforce violations, but as far as I know, this is just a rumor (although it would make a fun test).

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are using the no-enforcement license, then every license violation is reported to Splunk and the result is that salesmen will eventually begin calling you (and rightly so). That's it. There is literally No Enforcement.

Having said that, I have heard rumors that some people have tested this and that there really is a limit where searching will be blocked to enforce violations, but as far as I know, this is just a rumor (although it would make a fun test).

mustafag1
Explorer

Yeah that is what I thought as well, from the docs and other questions that seems to be the main (and only) issue. Regardless wanted to be sure.

0 Karma

phani

I just installed and started learning SPLUNK. Accidentally and unknowingly as a part of learning, it appears I violated on 3rd day and now I'm completely blocked from using it for a month??. how can someone learn with out any mistakes. This is limiting the ability to adopt the S/W

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly, please don't dig out such old threads. Just ask your question in a new one next time.

Secondly - the trial license is meant for "try and see" so  it should be no problem to scrap the whole installation and start anew. The free license is limited to a fixed size because it's free. I don't see any issues here.

If you're suddenly ingesting huge amounts of data into a trial-licensed splunk, for three days, there's something wrong with your trial installation. Maybe contact splunk partner for PoC?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...