Installation

User Seed vs Passwd File

ephemeric
Contributor

Is there any difference in placing an `etc/passwd` file in place as opposed to using an `etc/system/local/user-seed.conf` during a scripted install?

As I understand it the `user-seed.conf` produces an `etc/passwd` if the latter doesn't exist and then the former is removed?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there's a meaningful difference.  We drop pre-populated etc/passwd files all the time, and it just works.  You do have to restart Splunk for it to see the new passwd file.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there's a meaningful difference.  We drop pre-populated etc/passwd files all the time, and it just works.  You do have to restart Splunk for it to see the new passwd file.

0 Karma

ephemeric
Contributor

I would say a passwd file is different in the way that it provides more options like mail address etc. as opposed to the seed file.

But in the end same but different.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...