Installation

User Seed vs Passwd File

ephemeric
Contributor

Is there any difference in placing an `etc/passwd` file in place as opposed to using an `etc/system/local/user-seed.conf` during a scripted install?

As I understand it the `user-seed.conf` produces an `etc/passwd` if the latter doesn't exist and then the former is removed?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there's a meaningful difference.  We drop pre-populated etc/passwd files all the time, and it just works.  You do have to restart Splunk for it to see the new passwd file.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there's a meaningful difference.  We drop pre-populated etc/passwd files all the time, and it just works.  You do have to restart Splunk for it to see the new passwd file.

0 Karma

ephemeric
Contributor

I would say a passwd file is different in the way that it provides more options like mail address etc. as opposed to the seed file.

But in the end same but different.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...