Installation

Use WGET to download Splunk

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I login to splunk.com
Select the download button
select the version of Splunk I'd like to download and copy the url
When i paste it into my linux terminal session... wget runs fine but what it pulls down seems to be a part of a style sheet and not the tgz file I'm expecting.

What's happening?

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We've got ampersands in the URL and they'll confuse wget.

Don't worry... we've sorted it out for you.
Instead of just right clicking on the download link... start the download so that you jump to the next page (and then stop the download at your leisure).

Now you're on the "Thank you for Downloading Splunk" page.
On the right hand side is a help block - it contains the url in case your download didn't start and you would have preferred it to...
And it also contains the url for wget all ready for you to cut and paste.

The ampsersands have all been escaped and ready for wget (so it won't work in the browser)

Enjoy.

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

View solution in original post

hsesterhenn
Path Finder

If you want to automate this and getting the "latest" files:

wget --content-disposition 'https://www.splunk.com/bin/splunk/DownloadActivityServlet?architecture=x86_64&platform=linux&version...'

platform=linux
platform=macos
product=universalforwarder
product=splunk

MacOS:
architecture=x86

Windows

platform=windows
filename=.msi

Feel free to guess the other options.

Holger

Tags (2)
0 Karma

raycsr
0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

Why is there no standard repository for Splunk and the Universal Forwarder? It would be so much simpler to add a repository to APT's or Synaptic's list of sources, so that Splunk could be upgraded like anything else that is installed.

thilolangbein
Engager

Is there no option to automate download of the latest release? Come on!

petersonjared
Explorer

I am seeking the same thing. A way to automate the download of the latest release for both Windows and Linus. Does this not exist?

0 Karma

srilekhareddy62

downloaded splunk using wget command....its running but I couldn't available to open on web page.
I had checked all firewall connections.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

thanks for Curl as AWS doesn't have wget by default

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We've got ampersands in the URL and they'll confuse wget.

Don't worry... we've sorted it out for you.
Instead of just right clicking on the download link... start the download so that you jump to the next page (and then stop the download at your leisure).

Now you're on the "Thank you for Downloading Splunk" page.
On the right hand side is a help block - it contains the url in case your download didn't start and you would have preferred it to...
And it also contains the url for wget all ready for you to cut and paste.

The ampsersands have all been escaped and ready for wget (so it won't work in the browser)

Enjoy.

PapaE
Observer

Thank you

0 Karma

Skeer-Jamf
Path Finder

So as of right now, this no longer works:

root@server:~/installed# wget --content-disposition 'https://www.splunk.com/bin/splunk/DownloadActivityServlet?architecture=x86_64&platform=linux&version...'
--2021-10-20 10:04:55-- https://www.splunk.com/bin/splunk/DownloadActivityServlet?architecture=x86_64&platform=linux&version...
Resolving www.splunk.com (www.splunk.com)... 23.66.127.147, 23.66.127.135
Connecting to www.splunk.com (www.splunk.com)|23.66.127.147|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 503 Service Unavailable
2021-10-20 10:04:55 ERROR 503: Service Unavailable.

C'mon Splunk.  it's 2021 put this stuff into a repo for once!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...