Installation

Upgrading from Splunk 6.0 to 6.0.1 in custom home directory

rahulgopal
Explorer

I have Splunk v6.0 installed under a custom directory "/splunk6". So my directory structure is something like this below:

splunk6/bin

splunk6/etc

splunk6/include

splunk6/lib

splunk6/openssl

I understand the documented/typical way to upgrade is to untar the new bits in the existing installation directory. This would work if the home directory name was "splunk", since the tarball has the contents like this below:

splunk/

splunk/include/

splunk/openssl/

How should I perform the upgrade if my home directory name is different (i.e. "splunk6") from the default ("splunk")?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

guilmxm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can also (this is the way i did) create a symbolic link and then perform upgrade.

I have several splunk instance with a common root dir (let's say /opt/splunk/instance_A /opt/splunk/instance_B, and so on)
I just create a symbolic link to /opt/splunk/splunk corresponding to the instance i need to upgrade and then achieve it. (untar in the instance common root dir)

View solution in original post

guilmxm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can also (this is the way i did) create a symbolic link and then perform upgrade.

I have several splunk instance with a common root dir (let's say /opt/splunk/instance_A /opt/splunk/instance_B, and so on)
I just create a symbolic link to /opt/splunk/splunk corresponding to the instance i need to upgrade and then achieve it. (untar in the instance common root dir)

jkowalko

Just wanted to add for those not familiar with symbolic link (also known as a soft link or symlink). The approach does work.

• Type: ln -s /opt/yourSplunk1 /opt/splunk (this is the default directory)
  • Check by typing : ln -l in the parent directory you created the symlink, you should see splunk -> yourSplunk1 listed
  • Go ahead and proceed as you would and type: tar zxvf splunk-6.5..someversion.tgz -C /opt to extract the update
0 Karma

rahulgopal
Explorer

This suggestion helped me perform the upgrade successfully. Thanks!

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try adding "-C" option to your untar command.

tar xvfz splunk-6.0.1-189883-Linux-x86_64.tgz -C /splunk6
0 Karma

rahulgopal
Explorer

This command creates the "splunk" directory inside "splunk6", so the bits end up getting extracted under "/splunk6/splunk". This doesn't work for the upgrade.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When I've had that happen I just move the dir contents back out of that folder and pretend I didn't make a mistake. lol

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...