Installation

Upgrading/Migrating Splunk from 6.0.1 to 7.2.3. Need Help

ramprakash
Explorer

Hello Splunkers,

I need to upgrade my current Splunk multi cluster environment from 6.0.1 to 7.2.3.

Present Infrastructure where Splunk 6.0.1 is present:-

1. Two indexers
  2. Two search heads(SHP)
  3. One Cluster master

Futuristic Infrastructure where Splunk 7.2.3 will be deployed. I have ordered completely new devices. Once upgrade is done, we will decommission old infrastructure

1. Two indexers
  2. Two search heads
  3. One Cluster master
  4. One Deployment server

My biggest challenge is I want to transfer all the data from old(6.0.1) system to new(7.2.3) system. How can this be achieved ?
What is the Step by Step process to follow ? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are standing up a new cluster on new hardware, and want to transfer your indexes over it is pretty straightforward, if you have an identical number of indexers. If not, it becomes a bit more complicated.

If you do though, here are the high level steps:

On new cluster:
Deploy your existing indexes.conf but set the index(es) to disabled = 1

On old cluster:
Roll all hot buckets to warm
Disable the index

From old cluster indexers to new cluster indexes:
rsysnc -az /path/to/your/data new_indexer_name:/path/to/your/data/

Repeat that for each path defined (hot,warm,cold,etc), for each index, and for each indexer (old_indexer02 to new_indexer02 e.g.).

On the new cluster:
Verify/update user:group ownerships on the new data paths (chown -RP splunk:splunk /path/to/your/data/ e.g.).
Enable the index

Splunk may do some housekeeping, so to speak, once you enable the index. But after that you should be good.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I would make the old servers a multi-site cluster and put the new servers as a second site. Let the CM go crazy (it will crash many times), then decommission the old site.

ramprakash
Explorer

I need to move CM also to new system..is there any documentation for this

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The CM is a "start from scratch" node and does not record any state anywhere. If you simply point the Indexers to a new CM and restart everything, it will get sorted out quickly without any admin steps.

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have written a whole essay before realising that we need more information first. Are you planning to add the new servers into the existing multi-site cluster? Because this will make it a lot easier.

Skalli

0 Karma

ramprakash
Explorer

Hi..I am installing completely new hardware first and then moving all the data to them..What is the best way to do this..are there any procedural steps

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, the easiest way would be to include the new server insto the existing cluster and then decomission the old ones, like woodcock wrote. Everything else is kind of complicated and no step-by-step procedure available that I know of.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...