Installation

Upgrade to 6.2 fails on windows 7 with "ERROR while running rename-cluster-app migration" in migration.log

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have tried to upgrade to 6.2 on windows 7 and my installation fails with below message

"Splunk Enterprise Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error"

Looking in %SPLUNK_HOME%\var\log\splunk\migration.log% reveals this cryptic error:

ERROR while running rename-cluster-app migration
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk engineering team is looking at this as a known issue SPL-92480 however as a work around manually stopping splunk services before running the msi should allow a correct upgrade.

my migration.log.2014-10-28.17-28-48 only contains the below lines :

Migrating to:
VERSION=6.2.0
BUILD=237341
PRODUCT=splunk
PLATFORM=Windows-x86

ERROR while running rename-cluster-app migration.

View solution in original post

UlliPo

We had multiple app crashes attempting this (not splunkd although he failed finally as well). Our decision is to rebuild new and reinstall.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you mean rebuilt the OS?

0 Karma

UlliPo

Yes just rebuild the windows server and start over with the current version of SPLUNK.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Kinda sucks if that host was production level....

0 Karma

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk engineering team is looking at this as a known issue SPL-92480 however as a work around manually stopping splunk services before running the msi should allow a correct upgrade.

my migration.log.2014-10-28.17-28-48 only contains the below lines :

Migrating to:
VERSION=6.2.0
BUILD=237341
PRODUCT=splunk
PLATFORM=Windows-x86

ERROR while running rename-cluster-app migration.

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Rumor is that this will be fixed in the next release. Although that's not due for a few weeks/months...who knows - it's not public info.

0 Karma

FRoth
Contributor

I was at least able to restore my former version 6.1.3 with: splunk enable boot-start

0 Karma

slierninja
Communicator

Had this same issue with Server 2008 R2 upgrading from Splunk 6.1.0. I stopped the splunkd/splunkweb services and then re-ran the installer. It then reported the following error (splunkd.log in AppData/Local/Temp😞

disable auto-start of "Splunkd": ChangeServiceConfig: The specified service has been marked for deletion.

I had to reboot the machine to perform the upgrade successfully. Sounds like the breaking change with removing the existing splunkd/splunkweb services is cause for this.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm also experiencing the issue on fresh install (after uninstall) with no services pre-existing.

I've also installed 6.1.4, then stopped services, then ran 6.2 upgrade. Same issue though. Workaround does not appear to work (or I am not applying it correctly).

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Also, quoting from the Deprecated features page:

Windows 7 and Windows 8 x86 & x86_64: Enterprise support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 x86 & x86_64 has been removed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...