Installation

UF installation in docker

VijaySrrie
Builder

Hi,

To Install UF into docker, I followed the below steps.

1) docker pull splunk/universalforwarder:latest
2) docker run -d -p 9997:9997 -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license" -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=" --name uf splunk/universalforwarder:latest

3) When I ran docker ps --> status is healthy
4) But I am not able to start/stop splunk --> In /opt/splunk/bin --> I am not finding any script for splunk start and stop.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

alt text

0 Karma

Patrick_Peeters
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That just meanslldoesn't exist. Please do some more troubleshooting or provide steps of what you've done so far, as mentioned it works fine on my instance.

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

alt text

0 Karma

Patrick_Peeters
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The correct directory on a UF is /opt/splunkforwarder/, you can use .bin/splunk start from there. Keep in mind the default user is ansible when logging in with docker exec -it uf /bin/bash, that user has restricted rights.

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

Hi,

I am not able to restart splunk neither in /opt/splunkforwarder/bin or /opt/splunkforwarder --> getting error no such file or directory.

Am I missing some installation? only below lines are sufficient to install splunk UF?

1) docker pull splunk/universalforwarder:latest
2) docker run -d -p 9997:9997 -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license" -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=" --name uf splunk/universalforwarder:latest

0 Karma

Patrick_Peeters
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you actually setting a password and are you in the Docker container? Both commands work fine for me, granted I setSPLUNK_PASSWORD=password to get started, otherwise it won't work.

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

Its just VM so I set it as password.

0 Karma

Patrick_Peeters
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

And you are in the actual container and not in your VM? use the Docker exec command from above.

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

I gave the docker exec command. Getting below screenshot.

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

Yes I have set the password. Please find the below screenshot .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...