Installation

UF Installation does not proceed - Installation log?

ojay
Path Finder

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a UF on Linux and the installation procedure stops the moment the administrator username is being requested

"Please enter an administrator username: "

I can not figure out what is going as it does not proceed and it seems to just be freezing. 

Is there a log file that I can check on the installation progress? or errors?

Thanks,

Oj

Labels (1)
0 Karma

SRG9
Explorer

@ojay  can you please try with following way?

create user-seed.conf file with following contents under   $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/

[user_info]
USERNAME = admin
PASSWORD = <password>

and procedd with installtion 
./splunk start --accept-license --answer-yes --no-prompt

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are running this e.g. user splunk have you change ownership of /opt/splunkforwarder (or what is your splunk home) to this user? If not then when you are starting splunk, it cannot write to conf-files.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

ojay
Path Finder

Yes exactly but it doesn't!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If you didn’t found anything from logs, can you try with —no-prompt and set admin user and password later on if you need those?
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Current versions expecting that you will enter an administrator account and it’s password there. If you don’t need/want those then use —no-prompt parameter when you are starting splunk first time.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

ojay
Path Finder

Thanks for the response.

I do enter a name and enter. After that it just doesnt do anything.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Then it should ask password for above account.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...