Installation

The way to send files from Universal Forwarder to Heavy Forwarder machine

smart111
Explorer

Is there any way to transfer log files utilizing Universal Forwarder?
I have to use Heavy Forwarder to extract fields form complicated log texts. So It's necessary to send logs as whole file format from the machines which generate logs toward Heavy Forwarder.

if it's possible, could you tell me How and Which directory I should check on Heavy Forwarder machine.

The Construction is this. (attachment photo)constructions.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @smart111,

logs aren't indexed in UFs, they are indexed in Indexers.

The path is the following:

• logs are ingested in UFs and they could have the main information from conf files (index, sourcetype, host, source);
  • then logs are sent to the HF where they are parsed (not stored),
  • then they are sent to the Indexers (on Cloud) where they are indexed.

So the field extraction can be done at index time on HF and stored in Indexers, or at search time on Search Heads.

On HFs you have to parse all the field to extract at index time.

Logs aren't stored in HFs but they are parsed and then sent to Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @smart111,

using Splunk Cloud is always a best practice to use an Heavy Forwarder (it's better to use at least two HFs to avoid a Single Point of Failure!) to concentrate logs before sending to Cloud.

So you have to configure your Universal Forwarders to send their logs to the HF as if it were an Indexer.

On the HF you have to forward all logs to the Cloud, using the instructions you downloaded by Splunk Cloud.

The only attention you need is that you need to parse your logs on the HF and not on the Cloud.

In other words, you have to put on the HF all props.conf and transforms.conf you need for your applications, not search time field extractions, but all the other parsing jobs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

smart111
Explorer

Thank you for answering, @gcusello!

Using the way you suggested me, is it possible to extract fields from file paths on UF/HF machine?

Originally, I extracted these fields, "_time",  "application" and "c_code" from the path like this "/var/opt/splunk/{$c_code}/{$application}/{$_time}.log at Heavy Forwarder. That's why I wondered there is the way to send log files from UF to HF and the files are stored at somewhere on HF machine.

But from your advice, I interpreted forwarding files from UF to HF are no longer effective as long as the logs specify indexed at UF. Is that correct?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @smart111,

logs aren't indexed in UFs, they are indexed in Indexers.

The path is the following:

• logs are ingested in UFs and they could have the main information from conf files (index, sourcetype, host, source);
  • then logs are sent to the HF where they are parsed (not stored),
  • then they are sent to the Indexers (on Cloud) where they are indexed.

So the field extraction can be done at index time on HF and stored in Indexers, or at search time on Search Heads.

On HFs you have to parse all the field to extract at index time.

Logs aren't stored in HFs but they are parsed and then sent to Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

smart111
Explorer

Thank you for answering, @gcusello 

I understand the structure.
Then I should extract some fields related with file path parsing source information at HF.

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...