Installation

Splunk upgrade with odd path

jerm1020rq
Explorer

I am working on upgrading a deployment server which is typically an easy task. My issue is that this particular environment has a strange path instead of the usual /opt/splunk/etc. This environment has /opt/Splunk/splunkenterprise/etc/. I feel like if i run the upgrade as i normally do untarring the file to /opt, it could create some issues. does anyone have insight as to if this should be upgraded "business as usual" or if the command needs modification? I am worried that untarring in under /opt will cause issues with other possible dependencies to particular file paths. 

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can untar to a temp folder and move like below; (Make sure have a backup before upgrade)

cd /tmp
tar xzvf /path/to/splunk-install.tgz
mv splunk /opt/Splunk/splunkenterprise
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Just create a symlink named /opt/splunk which points to your odd path:

ln -s /opt/Splunk/splunkenterprise /opt/splunk

Make sure it's owned by your Splunk OS user and then continue on with your upgrade.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...