Installation

Splunk remains Beta version after fully upgrading to 4.3.2 from 4.3 Beta

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

I have just upgraded Splunk 4.3beta to 4.3.2 but for some reason whern I login, the version is displayed as 4.3beta?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Well I believe that the files in the 'merged' directory are just that, i.e. merged from the various files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app>/(local|default)/<file>.conf or $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/(default|local)/<file>.conf etc etc. That means that you need to find the correct web.conf elsewhere in the system and edit it - or put in an overriding value in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/web.conf.

Also, if there are any real changes to the product that didn't upgrade correctly from BETA to RELEASE, I hardly think that this type of change would affect anything. To me it looks just like an informational label.

just my 2 cents,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Well I believe that the files in the 'merged' directory are just that, i.e. merged from the various files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app>/(local|default)/<file>.conf or $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/(default|local)/<file>.conf etc etc. That means that you need to find the correct web.conf elsewhere in the system and edit it - or put in an overriding value in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/web.conf.

Also, if there are any real changes to the product that didn't upgrade correctly from BETA to RELEASE, I hardly think that this type of change would affect anything. To me it looks just like an informational label.

just my 2 cents,

Kristian

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

Perfect!.....Thank you!

Although this can confuse people who want to upgrade from the Beta version and because of this think its still in Beta 😛

0 Karma

rjyetter
Path Finder

Yes this was an unsupported upgrade but aren't most cowboys who want to squeeze the most of Splunk ride in the realm of unsupported?

I know this is very late in the game but I've figured it out -

If you look at $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/merged/web.conf

The very last line says version_label_format = %sBeta or something like that. Remove the Beta and you're in business.

Thanks,
Rick

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response, I was waiting for someone to finally help solve this issue.

Although I tried what you mentioned, but after a restart of Splunk it seems to go back to beta, with the web.conf modified back to version_label_format = %sBeta

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dark_Ichigo 🙂

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I cannot find it in any of the current online documentation, but I don't think that upgrading from a beta version to a release version is officially supported. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work entirely correctly.

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

I just tried upgrading it to 4.3.1 with the same issue.

How did the other Beta user eventually manage to upgrade to 4.3?

This is really wasting a lot of time, I need to know if it cant be done.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

@Dark_Ichigo - I'm afraid I have to agree with dwaddle, it appears that it's not officially supported as I've just been through all the documentation on upgrading and haven't seen anything about upgrading from a BETA to a release version.

0 Karma

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

No Solution?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Same thing here!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...