Installation

Splunk not starting after upgrade (6.6.1 > 7.0.0).

alvaroveiga

Hi, i just updated from 6.6.1 to latest version(7) and now i'am stuck with splunk not starting web interface:

./splunk restart

Stopping splunkd...
Shutting down. Please wait, as this may take a few minutes.
..................................... [ OK ]
Stopping splunk helpers...
[ OK ]
Done.

Splunk> Map. Reduce. Recycle.

Checking prerequisites...
Checking http port [10.244.161.7:8000]: open
Checking mgmt port [10.244.161.7:8089]: open
Checking appserver port [127.0.0.1:8065]: open
Checking kvstore port [10.244.161.7:8191]: open
Checking configuration... Done.
Checking critical directories... Done
Checking indexes...
Validated: _audit _internal _introspection _telemetry _thefishbucket checkfwd eqalis_network_sample firewall history itau main mwg_audit os ossec perfmon snort_cardholder snort_servidores sos sos_summary_daily summary summary_forwarders summary_hosts summary_indexers summary_pools summary_sources summary_sourcetypes syslog tp_win_sec tp_win_servers windows wineventlog
Done

Bypassing local license checks since this instance is configured with a remote license master.

Checking filesystem compatibility...  Done
    Checking conf files for problems...
            Improper stanza [dhcpd_server_dhcprelease] in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/unix/default/tags.conf, line 30
            Your indexes and inputs configurations are not internally consistent. For more information, run 'splunk btool check --debug'
    Done
    Checking default conf files for edits...
    Validating installed files against hashes from '/opt/splunk/splunk-7.0.0-c8a78efdd40f-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest'
    All installed files intact.
    Done

All preliminary checks passed.

Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...
Done
[ OK ]

Waiting for web server at https://10.244.161.7:8000 to be available............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

WARNING: web interface does not seem to be available!

What can be causing it ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

bgagliardi1
Path Finder

I had the same issue and I had to look at the crash log and found (in hex code) that there was a duplicate HEC (HTTP Event Collector) key in an app. So in summary, I had an app that was a culprit. You can backup all your apps, and either remove all and add 1 at a time and restart splunk, or have them all on there and delete one by 1 and try starting splunk.

This is the process I went through and it is also the recommended approach by Splunk to ensure that all apps work on a splunk (dev) server before upgrading prod.

0 Karma

bgagliardi1
Path Finder

I was coming from 6.6.2 to 7.0.3

There were no logs in splunkd or the web logs.

0 Karma

everagu
Engager

I have the same message after upgrade, just wait a minute and try start it again. That works for me.

0 Karma

alvaroveiga

Didnt work.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion
0 Karma

alvaroveiga

Doesnt work..

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried to access https://10.244.161.7:8000 ? If it's not working then any error logs in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/web_service.log ?

0 Karma

alvaroveiga

Not working, here is the logs:
https://pastebin.com/3Z5pmzCs

Could you please help me understanding it?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...