Installation

Splunk failed to start after upgrade to 4.3 on Redhat linux

djfisher
Explorer

I am running Redhat Enterprise 5.5 on my systems. I currently upgraded to 4.2.5 with no problem. Today I tried to update a server with the Splunk 4.3. I also updated the *Nix app (4.5) on this server at the same time. When I go to start splunk I get this error after site checks and during the config checks. From reading so far, it could be a python error of some sort?

Error:
ImportError: No module named site

**Update
I noticed this error on the attempt to upgrade 4.2.5 to 4.3:
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/locale/zh_CH/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po;4f0efb70: cpio: read

wouterdutoit
Engager

It looks like there is an integrity problem with previous RPM file "splunkforwarder-4.3-115073-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm" I downloaded on the 11th of January 2011

Trying to extract the file using rpm2cpio indicates the file was truncated:
rpm2cpio splunkforwarder-4.3-115073-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm |cpio -idmv
./opt/splunkforwarder/README-splunk.txt
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin/bloom
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin/btool
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin/btprobe
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin/bzip2
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin/locktool
./opt/splunkforwarder/bin/openssl
cpio: premature end of file

I redownloaded the file from Splunk and compared md5sums, and it showed that the previous version I downloaded was corrupt. The newly downloaded file extracted correctly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...