Installation

Splunk download has invalid signature?

mtyerman
Engager

Hi,

I have just downloaded the Splunk Enterprise to trial. The file name I have is

splunk-6.3.3-f44afce176d0-x64-release.msi

According to IE the signature of this program is corrupt or invalid. I have spoken to tech support who are unaware of this issue which makes me concerned that the file I have downloaded is not legitimate as it's no a known issue.

Can I get a checksum of the file please so I confirm it is legitimate?

Thanks

Labels (1)

ruman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Microsoft deprecated support for SHA-1 hashes signed after 2016-01-01: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/3123479?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Splunk 6.3.3 has such a hash, so IE doesn't like it.

Future releases of Splunk will use another hash. Please download with another browser as a workaround for 6.3.3. This problem should eventually show up on the known issues documentation.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've just downloaded https://download.splunk.com/products/splunk/releases/6.3.3/windows/splunk-6.3.3-f44afce176d0-x64-rel... - got a valid signature ("gültig" in German):

alt text

0 Karma

mtyerman
Engager

I have found the MD5 checksum which matches. Might be worth looking into this though as there could be something wrong with the signature, or Microsoft's scanning?

0 Karma

bradbdivin

Piling on here. I'm getting the same error trying to download Splunk Light, which has a very similar filename (splunklight-6.3.3-f44afce176d0-x64-release.msi) as mtyeman's Enterprise download (the only difference is splunklight vs splunk at the beginning of the filename.

I'm trying this download using IE11 on two different machines, both of which are less than 2 weeks old: A Windows10 physical computer and a Windows 7 virtual machine. I've attempted this multiple times over a 24-hour period, always with the same result. Other downloads from other sites have worked fine.

I tried the download link offered by martin_mueller and still received the 'signature corrupt ' message.

It's nice the MD5 matches and all, however this obstacle is not a confidence-builder for a software eval.

Contacting Support and referencing this thread to see if there is a resolution or explanation.

0 Karma

bradbdivin

Both Splunk Light installer downloads (64-bit and 32-bit ) produce the same 'signature corrupt' error. Forgot to say that earlier.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...