Installation

Splunk admin user changes from version 7->8

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

Will upgarding my splunk installation from version 7 to 8 it seems like the default admin user name and default password does not exsist anymore. Below is the code which i use:

namecheck if password change is required
    command/opt/splunk/bin/splunk login -auth admin:changeme
    registerlogin_result
    ignore_errorstrue

- namechange instance password
    command/opt/splunk/bin/splunk edit user admin -role admin -auth admin:changeme -password {{ admin_password }}
    whenlogin_result is succeeded

The code above while running gives an error 
"msg": "non-zero return code", "rc": 24, "start": "2020-09-03 13:06:30.914377", "stderr": "No users exist. Please set up a user.", "stderr_lines": ["No users exist. Please set up a user."]

Does anyone have faced the same issue?
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is documented change. You must add user and password before you start splunk or generate it when it starts first time.

In ansible it’s easy to create this user-seed.conf with ini_file module before you start splunk first time.

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is documented change. You must add user and password before you start splunk or generate it when it starts first time.

In ansible it’s easy to create this user-seed.conf with ini_file module before you start splunk first time.

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...