Installation

Splunk - Where is best to install heavy forwarder

Robertoing
Explorer

Hi to all,

my Splunk architecture consist of: 4 SH, 2 Indexer, 1 Deployment-Server (includes Cluster Master and Deployer).

I need to install an heavy forwarder but I don't have availables machines; where is better to install a second Splunk Enterprise instance (Heavy Forwarder)?

Thanks to all.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Robertoing,

at first Deployment Server can be shared with other roles only if it has to manage less than 50 clients and never with the Master Node, how many clients have you in your perimeter?

Then, as @SinghK asked: why 4 Search Heads? how you defined them? usually in a SH Cluster they are three, you need four SHS if you have many users and scheduled searches.

Then about Heavy Forwarders, what you need them, what's their role?

Anyway it's usually better to have at least two HFs to avoid Single point of Failues, especially if you use them as concentrators of other Universal Forwarders or as syslog servers, the only exception is when you use an HF as a pull server for cloud environments extractions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

is it a specific requirement that you need 4 SH in your environment?

0 Karma

Robertoing
Explorer

Hi @SinghK ,

Correct.
Now, I need to install an heavy forwarder like a second Splunk Enterprise instance in one of those machines (SH, Indexer, Deployment-server): what do you suggest?   

Thank you.

0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

Then you need a extra server there is no other way to deploy a HF or you can do is remove one of your SH and make it a Heavy Forwarder.  Thats all I can think of...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...