Installation

Splunk UF installation issue in rhel6 and amazon2018 after upgrade?

siladitya
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I am upgrading splunk UF from 8.0.5 to V 9.0.0 in my all linux flavours (rhel,6,7,8 ,amz 2018,2 and cent7).It got installed properly except rhel6 and amazon-2018. When I am trying to execute below command through automated script it got hung but surprisingly when I execute same command from tty ,its working fine. I used both shell (sh and bash) in my shebang.  

I found few hung child  processes when I did ps -eaf | grep splunk

"/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk start --accept-license --no-prompt"

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Explorer

Finally figured this one out thanks to a similar issue someone had 8 years ago lol. you will need to bypass the first-time run script by doing a few things.
1. rm -rf $splunkforwarder_home/ftr

2. cp $splunkforwarder_home/etc/auth/cacert.pem.default $splunkforwarder_home/etc/auth/cacert.pem
3. cp $splunkforwarder_home/etc/auth/ca.pem.default $splunkforwarder_home/etc/auth/ca.pem
4. cp $splunkforwarder_home/etc/myinstall/splunkd.xml.cfg-default $splunkforwarder_home/etc/myinstall/splunkd.xml

5. create a user-seed.conf file for the default admin user.

6. $splunkforwarder_home/bin/splunk start

This should start the UF then just proceed to stop, enable boot-start, and finally start the UF service for the final time.

0 Karma

Explorer

So our install/upgrade script is getting stuck at the accept license prompt, but when you login to the machine and enter the same accept license command it runs albeit with some errors .

Explorer

Same issue for OL6 this is def a splunk 9 bug.

brdr
Contributor

We have noticed the UF upgrades took a long time as well. If you look at the UF upgrade log it complains about kvstore which is something totally new in v9.  We noticed when we disabled the kvstore and performed an upgrade that the upgrade was wicked' quick. The kvstore message is confusing and very likely cause our customers to question it.

Amksa86
Explorer

How did you disable the kvstore, is that during the installation/upgrade? 

do you run a command to disable it before the start --accept-license command? 

thanks! 

0 Karma

Amksa86
Explorer

Hello,

We're having this same exact issue. We contacted support and they say no it's not splunk issue. we're still looking for a solution for this.

thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...