Installation

Splunk Licensers Pools and Indexers Details

manjunathaya

Team,

We are managing License Manager for enterprise wide, so we need to know
1) How we can get the list of license pools along with GUID
2) Where do we see these data in server? which logs
3) We are in a process of automation, where we need to add indexers to particular license pools, how we can achieve this?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Sorry, I was on a few busy weeks couldn't get a response to you. If you still didn't get it working a few things that will help you via the Splunk CLI (log on to the SSH/RDP on the Splunk License Server and run those commands as the Splunk user):

To list the license slaves (Indexers/Search Heads etc) reporting to the license server:
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk list licenser-slaves
This will show up the GUID, of each Slave reporting to the license server along with the instance name (under label)
Example:

[splunk@deploysrv ~]$ /opt/splunk/bin/splunk list licenser-slaves
    8052D46A-D7F8-49DB-9BA3-828C7FE87DBC
        active_pool_ids:
            auto_generated_pool_enterprise
        label:idx02.local
        pool_ids:
            auto_generated_pool_forwarder
            auto_generated_pool_free
        stack_ids:
            enterprise
            forwarder
            free
        warning_count:0

D79A9D7B-4DE3-497A-80BD-90FEF14971C0
        active_pool_ids:
            10gb_test_pool
        label:deploysrv.local
        pool_ids:
            10gb_test_pool
            auto_generated_pool_free
        stack_ids:
            enterprise
            forwarder
            free

EBF81948-E2DB-49F5-B4FF-CB90129C7A94
        active_pool_ids:
        label:idx01.local
        pool_ids:
            auto_generated_pool_free
        stack_ids:
            enterprise
            forwarder
            free

Now that you have the GUID, you can can add a new license pool:
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk add licenser-pools <poolname> -quota <quota> -slaves <guids> -stack_id enterprise

Example command: /opt/splunk/bin/splunk add licenser-pools 20gb_pool -quota 20gb -slaves 8052D46A-D7F8-49DB-9BA3-828C7FE87DBC -stack_id enterprise

You can also edit a current license pool to add a new indexer:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk edit licenser-pools <pool_name> -slaves <slave_guid> -append_slaves true

Example: /opt/splunk/bin/splunk edit licenser-pools 20gb_pool -slaves EBF81948-E2DB-49F5-B4FF-CB90129C7A94 -append_slaves true

All is documented here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/Admin/LicenserCLIcommands

0 Karma

manjunathaya

same rest command i am using but still not working. Can someone help me with the same?

0 Karma

manjunathaya

Do we need to run the rest command to get license pool/GUID details from the license manager server? and if so, what path?

I am getting an error stating "-bash: rest: command not found".

Please let me know

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Hey, the rest command is on the Splunk SPL

0 Karma

manjunathaya

Rest command that is present on SPL is the same one which I ran.

0 Karma

manjunathaya

Thanks for the response.

Do you have any sample CLI?

I was trying to use below curl but did not get expected results

curl -k -u username: password (license_manager_server:port)/services/licenser/pools

In order to add indexers to the particular license pools we need to use GUID, how do I get that GUID at license pools level?

0 Karma

manjunathaya

Thanks for the reply.

We have so many License pools, so we need to use some script to add new indexers to different License pools. How can we achieve this?

Does the GUID will be static for license pools?

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Hi, See below:

1. To get the list of license pools, on the license master or another server that have the license master as a search peer run: | rest splunk_server=<your_license_master_instance> /services/licenser/pools To get the GUIDs: | rest splunk_server=<your_license_master_instance> /services/licenser/licenses
  2. Do you mean license usage logs? That will be located inside the index=_internal source=*license_usage.log*. You can also play with the License Report Feature from Splunk, on the license master: Settings > Licensing > Usage report
  3. To create a new license pool, on the license server: Settings > Licensing > Add pool, give it a name, description and you can choose the license allocation there and what indexers will be connected to that pool
0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

If you're looking for automation the best way to go is probably to use the CLI. See this docs for a number of CLI commands that will help you add/edit etc a license-pool or license: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/Admin/LicenserCLIcommands. GUIDs are related to licenses and you don't assign a license to a pool, you assign a capacity from the full available license so it won't matter anyway what GUID you want to use. For example if you have 5 100GB licenses you can create a pool with 50Gb, another with 300Gb and another with 150Gb.
Hope this helps, if yes just mark it as resolved 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...