Installation

Splunk.License: failed to add because: cannot add lic w/ subgroupId=DevTest:xxxxx@xxxx.com to stack w/ subgroupId=Production

viewpost_rgora
Explorer

I am trying to install my Dev License to my local Splunk Instance but am getting the following error.

Splunk.License: failed to add because: cannot add lic w/ subgroupId=DevTest:xxxxxx@xxxxx.com to stack w/ subgroupId=Production

Currently the Splunk Instance is in Free Version Mode

Labels (1)
1 Solution

viewpost_rgora
Explorer

Found that I had to use a new valid trial license that I had access to from my Splunk System Administrative Course. After I used that license, I was then able to add my Dev License correctly. Just not able to add my Dev license while the Splunk version was in Free Mode. And you can't use the Dev license to get you out of the free version back into the Enterprise Mode.

View solution in original post

scottyau
Engager

I got around this today using the command line: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Admin/LicenserCLIcommands

Removed my free tier licence, and then added my dev licence and restarted splunk.

ff_rumali
Explorer

This was the mechanism for me. First, I listed the licenses:

./splunk list licenses

From this list, I identified the license_hash that had status:EXPIRED. Then I typed this command:

./splunk remove licenses HASH_OF_EXPIRED_KEY

Once I removed this license, I was able to install the new license that I had received.

singhvikas
Explorer

I signed in just to thank you. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

AaronMoorcroft
Communicator

Cheers, this worked for me, slight amendment on the cmds as my test box is Windows not Linux

0 Karma

CSmoke
Path Finder

Thanks, this worked for me!

0 Karma

sreinhardt6048
Engager

Worked as designed. Thank you.
a must for applying your 2nd personal development licence

0 Karma

fvasquez1703

I am having the same issue installing the Dev/Test license while in Free 500MB mode:
Bad Request — Splunk.License: failed to add because: cannot add lic w/ subgroupId=DevTest:xxxxx@xxxxx.com to stack w/ subgroupId=Production

I don't have a free training license which was used to resolve in the answer above, what else can I do?

0 Karma

viewpost_rgora
Explorer

Found that I had to use a new valid trial license that I had access to from my Splunk System Administrative Course. After I used that license, I was then able to add my Dev License correctly. Just not able to add my Dev license while the Splunk version was in Free Mode. And you can't use the Dev license to get you out of the free version back into the Enterprise Mode.

jackjack
Path Finder

This was the solution for me. CLI commands in the other answer didn't work because my license is expired and I need to switch groups. Once it expires you lose ability to change group from both the GUI and CLI. 

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Splunk Free license cannot be stacked with other licenses, including Splunk Free licenses.

Set your local instance to use Enterprise Trial (expired one) and then add your Dev license.

0 Karma

viewpost_rgora
Explorer

When I change it to Enterprise and assign the Enterprise Trial, I get a different error.

Bad Request — enttrial.lic: failed to add, stackid=download-trial maps to invalid gid

0 Karma

sreinhardt6048
Engager

scottyau and ff_rumali have it pegged.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...