Installation

Splunk Enterprise environment use both Windows 2016 and 2019 compatibility

dd_infosec
Engager

We have a client currently running their Splunk Enterprise environment (HF, Indexers and Search Head) in Windows 2016 and they would like to add a new HF in Windows 2019 for HA purposes. Is this supported or is there any compatibility issue?

Kindly share your thoughts. Thanks! 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dd_infosec,

leaving out for a moment the fact of having Windows on production systems which is something I don't recommend to any customer, it is a best practice to have the same operating system only on systems belonging to the same cluster (e.g. Indexer Cluster).

So it is not a problem to add an HF with a newer operating system.

The only constraint is the Splunk version which must be equal to or less than that of the Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dd_infosec,

leaving out for a moment the fact of having Windows on production systems which is something I don't recommend to any customer, it is a best practice to have the same operating system only on systems belonging to the same cluster (e.g. Indexer Cluster).

So it is not a problem to add an HF with a newer operating system.

The only constraint is the Splunk version which must be equal to or less than that of the Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...