Installation

Splunk Enterprise environment use both Windows 2016 and 2019 compatibility

dd_infosec
Engager

We have a client currently running their Splunk Enterprise environment (HF, Indexers and Search Head) in Windows 2016 and they would like to add a new HF in Windows 2019 for HA purposes. Is this supported or is there any compatibility issue?

Kindly share your thoughts. Thanks! 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dd_infosec,

leaving out for a moment the fact of having Windows on production systems which is something I don't recommend to any customer, it is a best practice to have the same operating system only on systems belonging to the same cluster (e.g. Indexer Cluster).

So it is not a problem to add an HF with a newer operating system.

The only constraint is the Splunk version which must be equal to or less than that of the Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dd_infosec,

leaving out for a moment the fact of having Windows on production systems which is something I don't recommend to any customer, it is a best practice to have the same operating system only on systems belonging to the same cluster (e.g. Indexer Cluster).

So it is not a problem to add an HF with a newer operating system.

The only constraint is the Splunk version which must be equal to or less than that of the Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...