Installation

Splunk, Defender for Identity, WinPcap and Npcap?

macartm

Hi,

So, we have a large number of domain controllers, which have Splunk Universal Forwarder installed AND Microsoft Defender for Identity.

Defender has switched to using Npcap (MS agreed some kind of OEM license with them), but I am told we need to keep Splunk and WinPcap for DNS traffic capture.

The issue is, on startup and occasionally every few days, I get spammed from Defender complaining that it's using WinPcap instead of Npcap drivers. Ie. it seems to be dumb and when it sees both, uses winpcap first and not npcap first. If I go to Defender for Identity I don't see any issues with the sensor. 

Entire AD team get over 100 messages every few days with this. Ticket open with MS has so far yielded nothing.

Surely we can't be the only people with this problem?

Is there a way to rename the WinPcap driver and tell Splunk to go look for the renamed driver, for instance? I don't know. There must be a fix. It's driving us nuts.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...