Installation

Spleak Search Head Migration from VM to Physical host

anirudhk
Explorer

I have a distributed Splunk setup with a server as (Search Head + Deployment Server + License Server) capabilities and 2 Indexers. We are expanding our enterprise architecture and would like to migrate the Search Head to a Physical as compared to VM that it is installed on currently.

How would I go about migrating the search head to physical by leaving the license server and Deployment server functionality.

Thanks
Anirudh

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kaufmanm
Communicator

You can install Splunk on the new server and then set up the distributed search settings through the UI under Settings -> Distributed Search, adding all the search peers that the VM currently connects to. You'll also likely want to copy over some custom apps or user settings that reside in /opt/splunk/etc/apps and /opt/splunk/etc/users respectively. You can leave the VM as is, or once you have the new search head set up, you could remove the search peers through the UI, or by removing them from /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/distsearch.conf. There's no cost to having two servers configured for distributed search, so I don't see a good reason to turn that off.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kaufmanm
Communicator

You can install Splunk on the new server and then set up the distributed search settings through the UI under Settings -> Distributed Search, adding all the search peers that the VM currently connects to. You'll also likely want to copy over some custom apps or user settings that reside in /opt/splunk/etc/apps and /opt/splunk/etc/users respectively. You can leave the VM as is, or once you have the new search head set up, you could remove the search peers through the UI, or by removing them from /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/distsearch.conf. There's no cost to having two servers configured for distributed search, so I don't see a good reason to turn that off.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...