Installation

RHEL 7: Failing upgrade from 7.2.2 to 7.2.5/6

MFiller90

I have a small full instance of Splunk used for testing. It's installed on RHEL 7 via tarball.

I've followed the directions on the Splunk site about stopping Splunk services and then installing over top of the existing installation (tar -xzf -C /opt/splunk) then starting Splunk services. The directions indicate you should be prompted as Splunk recognizes there's an install already and that it will attempt to upgrade your instance.

When I start Splunk it never prompts me to upgrade, furthermore it starts Splunk normally. I log into the web GUI and see 7.2.2 still. I looked in ~/etc/system/default and noticed none of the files were touched.

I tried both 7.2.6 and 7.2.5 tarballs, and got the same result. I completely uninstalled my 7.2.2 and reinstalled it, then tried to upgrade it again to no avail.

Am I missing a step?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

With your command of tar -xzf -C /opt/splunk , can you confirm that the directory;
/opt/splunk/splunk does not exist?
Just to confirm that you are actually overwriting the files in /opt/splunk/bin et cetera.

Normally I've seen the -C option to tar been:
tar -xzf splunkinstallation.tar.gz -C /opt

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

With your command of tar -xzf -C /opt/splunk , can you confirm that the directory;
/opt/splunk/splunk does not exist?
Just to confirm that you are actually overwriting the files in /opt/splunk/bin et cetera.

Normally I've seen the -C option to tar been:
tar -xzf splunkinstallation.tar.gz -C /opt

0 Karma

MFiller90

Yes this worked. I must've underestimated the splunk overwriting capability. The '-C /opt' instead of '-C /opt/splunk' worked flawlessly for me.

Thanks.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For education, I want to highlight that this was more about how the tar command works than Splunk. Some installers (like .exe, .msi, .rpm) will detect and overwrite. The tar command simply unpacks the compressed package (like a .zip file) and that's why it's imperative to do that unpacking such that the files overwrite the existing installation. If not, then you'll simply be creating a new Splunk install at another folder.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@MFiller90 I've turned this into an answer so you can accept it. Thanks

0 Karma

MFiller90

Yes, however since it's a test system I opted not to backup. It was Stop, Deploy new tarball, Start.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...