Installation

Questions about upgrading from 6.6.0 to 6.6.3 (Multi-Site Indexer Cluster)?

Thomsonadam

We are looking to upgrade our entire environment from 6.6.0 to 6.6.3, a software bug keeps causing the Indexers to crash so we have lost an entire site for the past few days. When it comes to upgrading the docs state to wait for the sites replication and search factor to be met, as the indexers have been down for a few days this may take some time. So is it advised to wait for this to happen before upgrading the next site i.e waiting 24 hours before starting to upgrade the second site? Will having each site on different versions cause any issues, or having one site on a different version to the Cluster Master or Search Heads?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The docs for clustered environment upgrades state that you can do one site at a time in a multisite cluster and that as long as you stay within a "point release" (i.e. 6.3.x to 6.4.x), you can have a mixture of versions during the upgrade.

So I'd upgrade the sites where SF and RF are met, give the bad site time to fixup, and then upgrade it.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's a link to the exact document I speak of:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Indexer/Upgradeacluster#Site-by-site_upgrade_for_m...

In fact, if you read a bit further, upgrading to a maintenance release (i.e. 6.3.0 to 6.3.x) can be done in a rolling restart method:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Indexer/Upgradeacluster#Upgrade_to_a_maintenance_r...

However it does caution you to do so as quickly as possible. See the warnings under the Upgrade to a maintenance release.

In the end, I believe you'll be fine because nothing major has changed in the way the buckets are handled between 6.3.0 and 6.3.3 (according to the release notes I've read).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...