Installation

Python upgrade readiness app: Why Integrity check failing after update?

norbertt911
Path Finder

Hello,

I recently upgraded Splunk Enterprise (and Heavy Forwarder) instances to 8.2.5 and 8.2.6. Both versions (maybe others too) install the Python Upgrade Readiness App 1.0 as default. Then Splunk asked to update the App to 3.1.  Nicely done from Splunk, but after the restart, the Integrity check starts to complain about the missing files of 1.0 version. It is annoying. Is there a way to "teach" Splunk the new version? (I know the check could be completely turned off, but I won't like to lose the information if ever something important changes.)

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

marcus_h
Engager

Hello,

we have the same issue and opened a case. We get a workaround from the support:

• Copy the manifest file
    • cd /opt/splunk; cp -p splunk-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest{,.orig}
  • Print all lines to the new manifest file, but not the upgrade readiness lines
    • cat splunk-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest.orig | grep -v python_upgrade_readiness_app > splunk-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest
  • Splunk restart

This commands works on *nix systems, for windows use similar commands.

View solution in original post

marcus_h
Engager

Hello,

we have the same issue and opened a case. We get a workaround from the support:

• Copy the manifest file
    • cd /opt/splunk; cp -p splunk-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest{,.orig}
  • Print all lines to the new manifest file, but not the upgrade readiness lines
    • cat splunk-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest.orig | grep -v python_upgrade_readiness_app > splunk-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64-manifest
  • Splunk restart

This commands works on *nix systems, for windows use similar commands.

samejgink
Explorer

Thank you!
The only problem I had in nix was a strange permission denied error when cat-ing to the new manifest file. I had to delete the original (but not .orig!) file and the command worked perfectly.

0 Karma

norbertt911
Path Finder

Yes, seems that solves this issue.

One note: should remove the .orig manifest file before restarting, or it will be applied.

Thanks!

0 Karma

computermathguy
Explorer

This just happened to me on 8.2.6.  Installed the new Upgrade Readiness app (ver 4.0.2) which overwrote the older 1.0 version.

0 Karma

norbertt911
Path Finder

Hello,

Thanks for the tip, but I think it's not helping me in this case.

1. All my instances have the same issue after update - So I have no "working" manifest file to replace...

2. in the current file the python_upgrade_readiness_app has 1000 rows. I'm not going to edit the hashes 🙂

3. I can delete the app and restore the original 1.0 - no more integrity issue, but Splunk would like to update the app, so the circle begins...

I have the feeling, that this is something for Splunk Support.  Seems to me the update "forgot" to record the new version into the manifest file. As a homemade solution, I can totally remove the app's records from the manifest, so nothing to check - no integrity warning. But I do not like this way.

0 Karma

vinothkumark
Path Finder

I am also facing the same issue. Were you able to resolve?

cboillot
Contributor

I have the same question.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...