Installation

Need some direction on Upgrading from 7.x to 8.2.3. Reg. upgrading Python. Please read below & thanks a mil.

SamHTexas
Builder

I need general direction to upgrade from 7.x to 8.2.3 (latest). I have Splunk Ent. & ES plus many Apps & TAs (Multi cluster, SH cluster, AWS is where Splunk resides. I have learned that need to upg. from 7.x to 8.0 / 8.1 And then from 8.0 / 8.1 to 8.2.3. The question is do I need to upgrade python once during upgrading to 8.0 / 8.1 and the upgrade Python when upgrading from 8.0 / 8.1 to 8.2.3 ? I could use any valuable advices you might have in this process as well.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Thank u for your message champs. Am still not clear though. Do I upgrade Python once going up from Splunk 7.x to 8.1 & Again upgrade Python while upgrading Splunk from 8.1 to Splunk 8.2.3? 

In reply to Roy99. Please clarify what do you mean by: I am using splunk cloud and was notified by splunk support to update all the apps to python 3 which are either public apps from splunk base or private apps built on premise..Not clear on update all the apps to Python 3.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don’t need/should use python by yourself as it comes with splunk. Only thing what you must ensure is that all additional apps, TAs etc works both python 2 and 3. Splunk is not using your OS’s python version!

0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

Yea for sure you need to update to python 3

I am using splunk cloud and was notified by splunk support to update all the apps to python 3 which are either public apps from splunk baseor private apps built on premise

You can also do a quick scan on your instance using splunk python upgrade readiness app, it will help you with the apps that needs python 3 along with paths in detail.

Also what i recently learned is “when you are building an app, use the most recent version of splunk add-on builder otherwise some of the paths of .py files that get created will be in python2”

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your overall plan is ok.

The easiest way is to do those python scripts compatible for both 2 and 3 before you start your upgrade. After that just update based on normal way https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/What-s-the-order-of-operations-for-upgrading-Splunk-Ent... and do needed tests after update to 8.0/8.1. After you have verified that everything is ok then continue with 8.2.3 update. After you have updated to this then you could/should update also kvstore engine and index's compression and tsidx write level etc. Just read those base documents and follow those.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...