Installation

Need some direction on Upgrading from 7.x to 8.2.3. Reg. upgrading Python. Please read below & thanks a mil.

SamHTexas
Builder

I need general direction to upgrade from 7.x to 8.2.3 (latest). I have Splunk Ent. & ES plus many Apps & TAs (Multi cluster, SH cluster, AWS is where Splunk resides. I have learned that need to upg. from 7.x to 8.0 / 8.1 And then from 8.0 / 8.1 to 8.2.3. The question is do I need to upgrade python once during upgrading to 8.0 / 8.1 and the upgrade Python when upgrading from 8.0 / 8.1 to 8.2.3 ? I could use any valuable advices you might have in this process as well.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Thank u for your message champs. Am still not clear though. Do I upgrade Python once going up from Splunk 7.x to 8.1 & Again upgrade Python while upgrading Splunk from 8.1 to Splunk 8.2.3? 

In reply to Roy99. Please clarify what do you mean by: I am using splunk cloud and was notified by splunk support to update all the apps to python 3 which are either public apps from splunk base or private apps built on premise..Not clear on update all the apps to Python 3.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don’t need/should use python by yourself as it comes with splunk. Only thing what you must ensure is that all additional apps, TAs etc works both python 2 and 3. Splunk is not using your OS’s python version!

0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

Yea for sure you need to update to python 3

I am using splunk cloud and was notified by splunk support to update all the apps to python 3 which are either public apps from splunk baseor private apps built on premise

You can also do a quick scan on your instance using splunk python upgrade readiness app, it will help you with the apps that needs python 3 along with paths in detail.

Also what i recently learned is “when you are building an app, use the most recent version of splunk add-on builder otherwise some of the paths of .py files that get created will be in python2”

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your overall plan is ok.

The easiest way is to do those python scripts compatible for both 2 and 3 before you start your upgrade. After that just update based on normal way https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/What-s-the-order-of-operations-for-upgrading-Splunk-Ent... and do needed tests after update to 8.0/8.1. After you have verified that everything is ok then continue with 8.2.3 update. After you have updated to this then you could/should update also kvstore engine and index's compression and tsidx write level etc. Just read those base documents and follow those.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...