Installation

Licensing: Difference between Dev license and Enterprise license?

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hello,

I found the following link regarding free, cloud and enterprise licenses and I was wondering if a dev license is considered a Free license or an enterprise license:

http://www.splunk.com/en_us/products/splunk-enterprise/free-vs-enterprise.html

Regards,
David

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

splunkton
Path Finder

Developer license is a liecense with

10 GB of daily indexing
Full enterprise features
Free trial for 6 months

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Good information at Types of Splunk software licenses

In general, there are four types of licenses:
• The Enterprise license enables all enterprise features, such as authentication and distributed search.
• The Free license allows you a limited indexing volume and disables authentication, but is perpetual.
• The Forwarder license allows you to forward, but not index, data and enables authentication.
• The Beta license, typically enables enterprise features, but is restricted to Splunk Beta releases.

DavidHourani, I think you are referring to the Enterprise trial license

When you download Splunk for the first time, you are asked to register. Your registration authorizes you to receive an Enterprise trial license, which allows a maximum indexing volume of 500 MB/day. The Enterprise trial license expires 60 days after you start using Splunk. If you are running with a Enterprise trial license and your license expires, Splunk requires you to switch to a Splunk Free license.

0 Karma

splunkton
Path Finder

Developer license is a liecense with

10 GB of daily indexing
Full enterprise features
Free trial for 6 months

hardikJsheth
Motivator

The development license is an Enterprise License with volume capacity of 500 MB/day.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

it's 10GB not 500, no ?

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It allows a maximum indexing volume of 500 MB/day as we can see in the "official" documentation.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/develop/
The 500MB is the Free license not the developer license.
You can say "woohoo" for that info ^^

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

haha.

It's really weird as the "official" documentation doesn't refer to it - Types of Splunk software licenses

I think you are referring to the "free" version ; -)

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

hahah they want hide it from you cause they don't like you 😛

0 Karma

hardikJsheth
Motivator

You are right about indexing capacity David, My bad.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...