Installation

License capacity calculator feature idea.

stribog
Explorer

Hello all Splunk Users, Architects, Support etc.

I would like to produce a license sizing calculator based on your experience.
It would be a spreadsheet with all needed calculations, you just put device type and role, quantity and it will produce license needs.

For example, I have the following table that I found somewhere on the Internet.

Quantity Type Avg. EPS 1000 Employee
Endpoints 5 5 Network Switches 150
5 Network Gateway/Router 5 5 Windows
Domain Server 35 2 Windows Application
Server 4 2 Linux Server 4 6 Exchange
Server 3 3 Web Servers (IIS, Apache,
Tomcat) 1.5 2 Windows DNS Server 1
4 Database Server 2 2 Firewall 10
2 Firewall 60 7 IPS/IDS 70 1 VPN 2

Please write down your statistics, the information needed is:
device type, quantity, average data size a day, EPS (if you want) , enterprise size in workers number.

The information could be anonymous.
The final result will be posted in Splunk's wiki.

Labels (3)

vnakra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have some spreadsheets internally based on samples we've collected, as well as an app based upon them. Drainy's answer above is an excellent post on why you might want to be wary of samples. I also published a (long!) blog post just now on all the approaches you can take to estimate license sizes.

0 Karma

vnakra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

From previous experience, this is an impossible solution. Best way to calculate is to setup Splunk and turn on the taps for a week, although its noble of you to try 🙂

Some things you can't estimate (or could but the calculator would be so complex it would be quicker to do a PoC);

• Natural spikes in data activity you may not currently be aware of (Hot desking impacts switches, user logons, backups etc)
  • Number of users and their roles. A count of users tells you nothing but dependant on their role or group access they may be generating more events by accessing more resources. Also an admin level user may generate more system, security and application events.
  • You ask for average data size a day but how do you assess this? Some systems will only allow you to output syslog over UDP which you couldn't estimate without sticking a syslog server or Splunk on the other end... by which point you know your licence needs 🙂
  • Bob has a windows 2003 server, its a DC. Phil has a windows 2003 server thats also a DC. Oh but Phil has more audit options turned on, but less users and Bob has a massive network but did a pretty poor job of configuring replication so theres lots of errors.
  • More of the above..

I'm not trying to be negative, its a great idea to try and do something like this but as I said, I've previously tried to build estimates but to build the estimate you need to see the natural flow of data over a week to take into account normal peaks and lows, including the number of times someone may enable debug on a switch (not to mention you may have 20 switches/routers all with different log levels).. and in the end just stuck Splunk in and worked it out in real time. This also gives you the advantage that you can enable some nullQueues and edit your inputs to trim the fat.

lguinn2
Legend

I agree that it would be easier to set up a test instance of Splunk and know what the data flow looks like, rather than trying to figure out all of the variables. Great description.

lguinn2
Legend

That's an awful lot of work that you are asking other people to do. Are you sure that it will be generally useful to everyone? Plus I am having some problems making sense of the table that you posted.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...