Installation

Is it possible to upgrade current Splunk Light installation to Enterprise, on the same box, using a trial license key?

markpwagoner
Explorer

Hi,

We currently have Splunk Light (Windows) 6.5.1 with all data sources and indexes configured. We would like to upgrade this current installation to Enterprise 6.5.1 without having to rebuild.

When I attempt the Enterprise installation, I'm told I need an Enterprise license key first. I would like to use the trial license key while we procure the long-term license.

Is it possible to have a trial key emailed to me or obtained some other way? Thanks much,

Mark Wagoner
Colorado Springs

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rbittner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Marc,

To upgrade apply an Enterprise license to your Splunk Light instance and restart. There is no need to install Splunk Enterprise on top of your Light instance. Splunk will then start up as Splunk Enterprise with all the data inputs, report, alerts and other knowledge objects you have created. You will not need to rebuild anything. Keep in mind that once you move to Splunk Enterprise there is no easy way to go back.

The trial license is bundled with the Splunk Enterprise trial and not available as a stand alone license (as far as I know). I suspect that our sales team can get you a trial license but keep in mind that once you apply that license you will be running Splunk Enterprise and have a 30 day trial Once the trial expires you would revert to the free version of Splunk Enterprise with the limits that implies.

My recommendation is to work with our sales team and get a full Enterprise license or if you have a time gap of 30 days or less ask them to provide you a trial license. What you don't want is to move to a trial of Enterprise and then run out of time before you can get a full license as you would be stuck with no easy way to revert back to your Light license.

View solution in original post

rbittner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Marc,

To upgrade apply an Enterprise license to your Splunk Light instance and restart. There is no need to install Splunk Enterprise on top of your Light instance. Splunk will then start up as Splunk Enterprise with all the data inputs, report, alerts and other knowledge objects you have created. You will not need to rebuild anything. Keep in mind that once you move to Splunk Enterprise there is no easy way to go back.

The trial license is bundled with the Splunk Enterprise trial and not available as a stand alone license (as far as I know). I suspect that our sales team can get you a trial license but keep in mind that once you apply that license you will be running Splunk Enterprise and have a 30 day trial Once the trial expires you would revert to the free version of Splunk Enterprise with the limits that implies.

My recommendation is to work with our sales team and get a full Enterprise license or if you have a time gap of 30 days or less ask them to provide you a trial license. What you don't want is to move to a trial of Enterprise and then run out of time before you can get a full license as you would be stuck with no easy way to revert back to your Light license.

markpwagoner
Explorer

We procured the Enterprise license, applied to our Light (Free) instance, restarted Splunk and it came up as Enterprise, as expected. All data inputs and indexes were in place, so all good. Thanks for the help!

jenipherc
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What if we have a license master? Or I guess I can just take the enterprise lic file and put it in the license folder and restart? Splunk Light has a different UI layout, so based on what you said, will the UI also got upgraded after applying license?

0 Karma

jenipherc
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I found my answer to those questions I asked.

0 Karma

markpwagoner
Explorer

That answers the question. Many thanks for the quick response! I'll get with the sales team, and if successful I'll update this conversation. Thanks again,

Mark

0 Karma

rbittner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Let us know if you have any questions or need help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...