Installation

Is it possible to migrate indexed buckets to a different index on a new machine?

Glenn
Builder

I have seen an answer to part of my question (whether I can copy the contents of an index to another server) in the answer below:

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/3516/how-do-i-migrate-my-splunk-data-to-a-new-machine

But I have a further query on this: Is it possible to migrate the data from an old server under a certain index (eg. defaultdb) to a new server into a different index (say eg. migrateddb)?

Does the indexed data in the buckets (eg. /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/defaultdb/db/db_1318590087_1318108850_7491) contain anything that ties them to that specific defaultdb index name?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is no information about the index in the buckets, you can migrate a bucket manually to a :

• new indexer
  • new index folder

Recommendations are :

• roll your hot buckets to warm before (easier to manipulate after)
  • When merging buckets in the same folder, check the buckets ID of the existing and imported buckets to avoid duplicates ID. the ID is the last number of each bucket folder : db_xxx_xxx_ or hot_v1_ you can re-enumerate the IDs of the new buckets at the end of the existing range, or in a completely new range (like 100 units further)
  • don't migrate 64bit to 32bit, some buckets may be larger that the system file size capacity

View solution in original post

vasanthmss
Motivator

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Some extra details on the migration of indexes to a new indexer.

If you just want to move your indexed data from the old standalone indexer to a new indexer cluster, this is an easy procedure of copying files.

Usually the indexes to migrate are :
- main ($SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/defaultdb on the disk by default)
- summary ($SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/summary on the disk by default)
and any other custom indexes you may have.

first create the indexes on the new indexers and start splunk once (to create the folders)

For each index you want to migrate, you will find buckets folders in the /db and /colddb folders that you will have to copy to the new location (or distributed them one by one on a different indexer to distribute the volume).
Bucket folder names are db__ or hot_v1, the last number is an unique id, that increments. In each index, all buckets must have a unique ID.

You may not need to do anything if the destination indexes are empty. But if you are merging buckets from indexes, or splitting then over several indexers, you want to avoid duplicated of the id. The easy way is to increment the id in a range higher than the existing ones.

In case of duplicate id, a warming will be recorded in splunkd.log at start and the index will be disabled. If it happens, just fix the id, re-enable the index and start/

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

That's the easy part. The hard part is moving from one index cluster to another.

How would we move indexed data from a large production index cluster to a smaller development index cluster. The idea here is to be able to make changes in a lower environment before modifying production. Especially with Enterprise Security, we would make changes, see the impact, (e.g. did it work, what did it do to the indexer host, etc), then copy those changes to production.

So we would want to copy indexes from one cluster to another, but only a subset; maybe 90 days worth?

Is there a documented process for this/

0 Karma

coreyCLI
Path Finder

@jaxjohnny2000 Did you ever get clarity on your issue?  I am have the same problem.  I need to migrate about 8 months worth of data (buckets) from one indexer cluster to another indexer cluster.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know if you noticed but this thread is already 12 years old and the post you're asking about is 4 years old. You have better chance of getting a response by writing a new question (maybe pointing to this old thread for reference) instead of digging up such ancient history 😉

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is no information about the index in the buckets, you can migrate a bucket manually to a :

• new indexer
  • new index folder

Recommendations are :

• roll your hot buckets to warm before (easier to manipulate after)
  • When merging buckets in the same folder, check the buckets ID of the existing and imported buckets to avoid duplicates ID. the ID is the last number of each bucket folder : db_xxx_xxx_ or hot_v1_ you can re-enumerate the IDs of the new buckets at the end of the existing range, or in a completely new range (like 100 units further)
  • don't migrate 64bit to 32bit, some buckets may be larger that the system file size capacity

Glenn
Builder

Just the answer I was looking for, cheers.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

I would suspect not but I'm intrigued to know now - hadn't thought of that before 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...