Installation

Is it possible during an upgrade to postpone the replication by a day or so?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

During the upgrade to 7.1.7 we had a couple of challenges and some are mentioned at Large amount of buckets that need to be fixed after the upgrade?

So, let's say, we make the (next) upgrade on Thursday night.
Is it possible to "postpone" the replication process, let's say until Friday afternoon?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

skalliger
Motivator

Yes, simply by enabling the maintenance mode on the Cluster Master.

Skalli

View solution in original post

skalliger
Motivator

Yes, simply by enabling the maintenance mode on the Cluster Master.

Skalli

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Gorgeous @skalliger.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

@ddrillic, don't think this is a good idea it's too risky for the cluster as any indexer loss or even restart could affect the state of your cluster. Postponing the replication by enabling maintenance mode would be similar to disabling your entire environment.
I would say plan ahead and make sure you upgrade when you're ready to take the replication load on the network and Splunk infrastructure.

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

Depends on the amount of buckets. But I'd probably just let the fixup finish before doing another upgrade.

Skalli

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

@skalliger and as I said, you should not use maintenance mode for "postponing" replication. This just breaks everything. Maintenance mode is not made to be a long term state.

Only upgrade when you know it's ok to have the replication going. If it's not then wait till when it is.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

From the SE -

I mean… why would you want to do that? You’d only be building up more back pressure.

The behavior you saw after upgrade is a positive thing. Without this extra work by the indexers your data is unsafe and easy to lose forever.
If you want to tweak the behavior to make it more manageable check out workload management in 7.2.x and above.

If you didn’t do a site-by-site upgrade (I thought you did?), site-by-site would reduce the fixup count significantly.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Yeah, exactly. Better just just upgrade when you're sure that you can get the replication going and not try to stall that process. You'll only end up with way more fixups than when you started.

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Absolutely @DavidHourani - we'll throw this idea out the window ; -)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...