Installation

Installing latest splunk on Windows Server 2008 CRASH!

RafalLos

So ... I installed the app, but at the tail end of the install it gave an error about not being able to start the application. A quick 'netstat -an' confirmed port 8000 wasn't listening, so I checked the Windows event log... which generated this:

Faulting application splunkd.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4c8210b4, faulting module midas32.dll, version 0.5.1633.2367, time stamp 0x4acc7167, exception code 0xc00000fd, fault offset 0x00023303, process id 0xea4, application start time 0x01cb640cca16855c.

So, a re-start of the Splunk service actually opens up port 8000, but when I try to connect to it, I never actually get a page, just an infinite wait.

What's going on?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

In general, any time you see a hard crash like that, it's a good idea to open a support case directly with Splunk.

That said, midas32.dll seems to be associated with BitDefender -- are you by any chance running BitDefener for antivirus? If so, it would be worth the experiment to disable/remove it, or try a different antivirus product, and see if the problem persists.

RafalLos

Good point. I AM running BitDefender on that box (it wouldn't shock me that the A/V is borking the Splunk install)...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...