Installation

Installing Splunk - Troubleshooting error "Waiting for web server at http://127.0.0.1:8000 to be available.?

J9
Engager

I'm trying to install Splunk Enterprise on CentOS7 operating system.  CentOS is installed on Virtual Box.  However when i run ./splunk start -accept-license i get the message "waiting for web server at http://127.0.0.1:8000 to be available.

This is my first installation so the solution maybe pretty simple.

I have logged in as root to open ports by typing the following commands

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=8000/tcp –permanent 

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=8080/tcp --permanent  

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=8088/tcp –permanent

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=8089/tcp –permanent

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=9997/tcp –permanent

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=514/tcp –permanent 

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=514/udp –permanent 

I reloaded the firewall rules by firewall-cmd -reload and when i run firewall-cmd --list-all i can see the ports that i have opened.

J9_1-1661127933782.png

i created a splunk user and group and associated it to each other.   

i uncompressed the tar file and moved to /opt/splunk

i changed the ownership of the uncompressed files to splunk 

Then logged into CentOS as splunk ran ./splunk start -accept-license and all the prelimary checks passed.  Then after a few minutes, the error appeared and believe the installation stopped.

I ran the command /opt/splunk/bin/splunk status and splunkd is not running

i did netstat -an | grep 8000 and its not listening on port 8000.  

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

J9
Engager

Just to give an update, i did the following:

i set the current mode to passive from enforcing by typing setenforce permissive > Enter

I disabled the firewall by typing systemctl stop firewalld > Enter

I updated centOS by typing yum update > Enter.  (As i only downloaded the install file a few days ago i didnt do this as i thought it would already be the latest.  Turns out it wasnt the case)

I then ran ./splunk start > Enter and then after a few minutes it completed.

However, now when i go to the web browser it says secure connection failed.  Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

View solution in original post

0 Karma

J9
Engager

Just to give an update, i did the following:

i set the current mode to passive from enforcing by typing setenforce permissive > Enter

I disabled the firewall by typing systemctl stop firewalld > Enter

I updated centOS by typing yum update > Enter.  (As i only downloaded the install file a few days ago i didnt do this as i thought it would already be the latest.  Turns out it wasnt the case)

I then ran ./splunk start > Enter and then after a few minutes it completed.

However, now when i go to the web browser it says secure connection failed.  Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...