Installation

Installation

harshavrath
Contributor

Hi

If i install Splunk as Local User on my desktop will be able to Host it. I mean will i able to give access to other users who want to use it...

All Desktops are connected by means of LAN.

The Result that i'm expecting is I want Splunk to read Logs from DB and index it and should be accessible by multiple Users.So what i'm i supposed to do..?

Any Suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi harshavrath,

if you don't have high expectations in performance or don't have any high IO's, this should be fine. Most people run Splunk on their desktop/VM for testing or development - though I would never use it for production data!

Also remember, if you run it on your desktop you have to take care that the Splunk UI (Web-interface) is reachable from the network.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi harshavrath,

if you don't have high expectations in performance or don't have any high IO's, this should be fine. Most people run Splunk on their desktop/VM for testing or development - though I would never use it for production data!

Also remember, if you run it on your desktop you have to take care that the Splunk UI (Web-interface) is reachable from the network.

cheers, MuS

harshavrath
Contributor

hi MuS,thanks for your help.

0 Karma

harshavrath
Contributor

Cant this be done without the use of Splunk Forwarders.?
Will i be able to install a forwarder on a server where Real DB logs are present that would FORWARD THE LOGS TO MY SPLUNK INSTALLED IN MY DESKTOP as LOCAL USER.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ok, first I recommend you to read the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk

regarding the DB logs, if those are real log files on remote server, you need a universal forwarder on the remote server to forward the log to your Splunk server.
DB connect is only needed if you want to do DB queries directly out of Splunk.

0 Karma

harshavrath
Contributor

I want to read log files from DB then i would require Splunk DB connect right..?
My Database's are on servers..will i be able to access them by installing Splunk as Local User.?
Will there be any need of Splunk Forwarders.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

check your local firewall on the desktop and open the port

0 Karma

harshavrath
Contributor

Hi Mus

I'm gonna use Splunk for testing purpose.How can i make the Splunk UI(Web-Interface) reachable from the Network.?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...