Installation

How to start a splunk container with the forwarder license ?

VincentC
Explorer

I am using the splunk docker image to start a heavy forwarder with this command:

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license" -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=mydummypw" -e "SPLUNK_ROLE=splunk_heavy_forwarder" --name hforwarder splunk/splunk:latest

I would like this heavy forwarder to run with the forwarder license, but when I check with

splunk list licenser-groups

I see that a Trial license is selected instead or the Forwarder one:

Enterprise
		is_active:0
		stack_ids:

Forwarder
		stack_ids:
 			forwarder

Free
		stack_ids:
 			free

Lite
		stack_ids:

Lite_Free
		stack_ids:

Trial
		is_active:1
		stack_ids:
 			download-trial

I could of course connect to the container and switch the license group with

splunk edit licenser-groups Forwarder -is_active 1

but this requires a restart and I would like to achieve this with only parameters to the docker run command.

Any idea if this is possible ?

If I add the SPLUNK_LICENSE_MASTER_URL parameter to make my heavy forwarder a slave to a license server, it works, but I am looking for a way to use the Forwarder license instead.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VincentC
Explorer

Got around it with

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license" -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=mydummypw" -e "SPLUNK_ROLE=splunk_heavy_forwarder" -e "SPLUNK_BEFORE_START_CMD=edit licenser-groups Forwarder -is_active 1" --name hforwarder splunk/splunk:latest

I didn't know this SPLUNK_BEFORE_START_CMD environment variable existed.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VincentC
Explorer

Got around it with

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license" -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=mydummypw" -e "SPLUNK_ROLE=splunk_heavy_forwarder" -e "SPLUNK_BEFORE_START_CMD=edit licenser-groups Forwarder -is_active 1" --name hforwarder splunk/splunk:latest

I didn't know this SPLUNK_BEFORE_START_CMD environment variable existed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...