Installation

How to set up email alerts on license warnings when I cannot access the license manager page?

mataharry
Communicator

I am on an instance where I have no access to the license manager page, or where I never log in, or when I am not an admin (Splunk cloud or sandbox, in my case).

How can I set up a scheduled email alert to tell me when I exceed the license usage capacity?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you can search the internal logs, you can look for those events recorded just after midnight (on the server timezone, so for Splunk Cloud in GMT)

> 05-07-2015 00:00:00.047 +0000 WARN LicenseUsage - type=WarningIssued slave="C89XXXXX-32XX-46XX-95XXX-635XXXXXX99DE" stack="enterprise" pool="auto_generated_pool_enterprise" - This pool has exceeded its configured poolsize=XXXXXXXX bytes. A warning has been recorded for all members

you can setup a scheduled search running after midnight, and looking for the last 24h logs
index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type=WarningIssued
and triggering if at least one events is returned, then email to you the result.

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you can search the internal logs, you can look for those events recorded just after midnight (on the server timezone, so for Splunk Cloud in GMT)

> 05-07-2015 00:00:00.047 +0000 WARN LicenseUsage - type=WarningIssued slave="C89XXXXX-32XX-46XX-95XXX-635XXXXXX99DE" stack="enterprise" pool="auto_generated_pool_enterprise" - This pool has exceeded its configured poolsize=XXXXXXXX bytes. A warning has been recorded for all members

you can setup a scheduled search running after midnight, and looking for the last 24h logs
index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type=WarningIssued
and triggering if at least one events is returned, then email to you the result.

rithwik572
Engager

@yannK I would like to know how can I include the slave name (slave="C89XXXXX-32XX-46XX-95XXX-635XXXXXX99DE") in the alert generated ?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

something like that can show you :
the last warning and the slave list.

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type=WarningIssued | bucket _time=24h | stats count values(slave) first(_time) by time host
0 Karma

rithwik572
Engager

Hi @yannK,
I am trying to generate alert when a jenkins slave memory get's full. The search string I am using is index=app_devops AND "No space left on device" source="/opt/artifacts/jenkins/log/jenkins*"

Event's shown are as follows:
Caused by: java.io.IOException: remote file operation failed: /opt/jenkins/7cb92e15/tools/hudson.model.JDK/IBM_1.7_JDK at hudson.remoting.Channel@1901245e:Linux-build-slave-12: java.io.IOException: No space left on device

I would like to print the slave name ( Linux-build-slave-12) on the email body of alert generated in real time as we have 30 slaves running in our environment . current alert doesn't show the slave name, we need to look for full output to determine the slave name. Please let me know how to configure it,
Thanks in advance

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...