Installation

How to see how much I am exceeding my license limit by?

chiash

I have a Splunk 6.5.2 deployment that already has 18 hard violations, therefore my search has been restricted to internal logs.

I would like to find out how much data has been ingested on each of these specific 18 days so that I know exactly how much I am exceeding the license limit by before I decide if I could reduce the amount of logs sent to Splunk or if I should consider increasing my license limit.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Elsurion
Communicator

Hello

You might try this search, you say you can run searches only on _internal, then it should work. Just take a 30day Timeframe.

index=_internal source=*license* type="Usage"
| fields st, idx, h, b, _time
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats sum(b) as bytes by _time
| eval gb=round(bytes/1024/1024/1024,3)
| table _time gb
| rename gb as GB/day 
0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can likely find your answers in the Distributed Monitoring Console - DMC, or in the Splunk Enterprise license usage report. Here are the docs for the DMC or more specifically to the Licensing section of it (which matches the Licensing report directly.)

0 Karma

chiash

Thanks for the answer. I have tried looking at the license usage report. I am able to see the data for the current day only. When i tried to click the "previous 30 days" tab the charts turn up to be empty. I assumed that's because my license has been violated they have restricted the search capabilities, is this wrong?

0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

No. You can still able to search internal logs.
Try this query from your search application - it gives you how much amount of data indexed by host, source.

index=_internal source=*license_usage* type=Usage | stats sum(b) as bytes by h s | sort - bytes
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...