Installation

How to install an SSL key from a trusted certificate authority?

timmy13
Communicator

The docs clearly show how to install a self-generated ssl key, but we have a cert from a TCA. I can't seem to find docs on how to install this.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
1 Solution

jworthington_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Dwaddle's talk is amazing, I recommend it highly.

We also have a topic here that talks about using signed certificates in your indexer to forwarder configuration:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/Security/ConfigureSplunkforwardingtousesignedcerti...

Hope that helps!
jen

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

esalesap
Path Finder

Links to the talk return:

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>7BEZWWY1K8WA511V</RequestId>
<HostId>bsDp/rRmE1/64CmaduU6ebmvWdDJNvkw/bnJUnDSNYE26AE+HFQUYMcng/bVXyfeD/dL5kmgkZ8=</HostId>
</Error>

How about a paragraph describing what to do?
0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

Hi and thanks for the replies. DWaddle, I've followed your directions from the slide deck, and all went well, but when trying to start splunk, it sets at "Waiting for web server at https://127.0.0.1:8000 to be available.." and never goes anywhere. Don't see anything in the logs but not sure I'm looking in the right place.

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's a number of places where a misconfiguration could cause that kind of hang. Usually I would start with encrypted passwords in etc/system/local/*.conf that are wrong. The logs can be fairly hard to pull this kind of thing out of just because of the verbosity of everything during startup.

This will get painful if we try to comment back and forth here to debug - any chance you are on the Splunk IRC channel and/or slack chat? We might be able to work through this more interactively there.

0 Karma

gregbo
Communicator

When updating the web.conf file, what port did you specify for SSL?

0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

Tried 8443 and 8000

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...