Installation

How to filter down events with specific string value from a multivalue field and then to compare and pick values as per the condition?

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

Windows update installation logs from machines are forwarded every day in Splunk.
In our windows environment, some windows update installations might fail and get logged as failed in the log, many get installed and gets logged as installed. These failed updates will try again to install another time and may get installed successfully or may end up as a failure again.

Requirement: Take all the values from the installation logs (ie., all the values in a field) filter out the failed installation which hasn't been able to get installed successfully yet.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

index=windowsevents sourcetype="System" SourceName=WindowsUpdate

EventCode=19 OR EventCode=20

|rex field=Message "(?P<Status>Installation\s\w+):.*(?P<Update>KB\d+).*"

|stats latest(_time) as Time latest(Status) as Status latest(Message) as Message by host Update
           |search Status="Installation Failure"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

|stats latest(_time) as Time latest(Status) as Status latest(Message) as Message by host Update
0 Karma

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

Here's the query that's written till now. This will fetch all the Installation success and failure events and going to give the latest result. There could be multiple updates and some might have failed and other updates that came through would have got installed fine. So, this query is only going to give me the latest log where its failure. I need to get all the installation failure logs with the respective updates.
Not sure if this is this clear enough?

index=sccm_uk source="C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\WUAHandler.log" sourcetype=WindowsCCMLogs host="*" (ADSite_Membership="Installation job encountered some failures") OR
(ADSite_Membership="Installation of updates completed.")

|stats latest(ADSite_Membership) as WUAInstallError by host
           |search WUAInstallError!="Installation of updates completed."                 
           |dedup host
           |stats dc(host) as #Hosts by WUAInstallError
           |sort 0 - #Hosts
           |addcoltotals #Hosts
0 Karma

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

I got the solution. I am using windows events to keep a track of the installation failure and got a query working for it. Thanks!

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you can, please share your solution as an answer here and accept it.

0 Karma

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

0 Karma

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

This gives me the intended result. Thanks VatsalJagani for your help with this.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@sureshmurgan - Could you please share _raw event sample and query that till now you have wrote if any?

0 Karma

sureshmurgan
Path Finder

Hi Vatsal, thanks for responding.
Here's the query that's written till now. This will fetch all the Installation success and failure events and going to give the latest result. There could be multiple updates and some might have failed and other updates that came through would have got installed fine. So, this query is only going to give me the latest log where its failure. I need to get all the installation failure logs with the respective updates.
Not sure if this is this clear enough?

index=sccm_uk source="C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\WUAHandler.log" sourcetype=WindowsCCMLogs host="" (ADSite_Membership="Installation job encountered some failures") OR

|stats latest(ADSite_Membership) as WUAInstallError by host
              |search WUAInstallError!="Installation of updates completed."                 
              |dedup host
              |stats dc(host) as #Hosts by WUAInstallError
              |sort 0 - #Hosts
              |addcoltotals #Hosts
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Could you please try:

index=sccm_uk source="C:\\Windows\\CCM\\Logs\\WUAHandler.log" sourcetype=WindowsCCMLogs host="" (ADSite_Membership="Installation job encountered some failures") OR 
|stats list(ADSite_Membership) as WUAInstall by host

Could you please check value of WUAInstall? Is this what you want? It must be showing all logs(ADSite_Membership) of installation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...