Installation

How to change password using CLI in splunk

vin02
Path Finder

How to change password using CLI . We are using script(splunk edit user admin -password -role admin -auth admin:changeme ) to change the password.After the command password getting encryped but when we are trying again to login,again we are getting "changeme" as password?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

not sure why @somesoni2 comment is not an answer...

splunk edit user admin -password newPassowrd  -auth admin:changeme 

View solution in original post

adonio
Ultra Champion

not sure why @somesoni2 comment is not an answer...

highsplunker
Contributor

hello. guys i don't understand. in order to change splunk admin pwd i need to know splunk admin pwd ? i don't get it...

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Are you specifying the password in the command?

dslife_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For the paranoid among us, you might want to follow this with either history -c to clear all your history or history -d <linenum> to delete the line with the password from your history file.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

or easier way is to put these lines into a script and call the script and delete the script afterwards
This way it won't show in history of commands.

bjoernhansen
Path Finder

The easiest way is actually to put a space in front of the command. That shouldn't log it to history.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...