Installation

How to change a license master if the server fails?

jonathan_lam
Explorer

What are the best approaches for high availability of the license master?

If the license master server goes down, do we simply change one of the slaves to become a local master, and then changing it to become a license master and re-setting up the license slaves?

To avoid setting up all the license slaves again, should we set up a cname for the license master and if that server fails, we change one of the slaves to become a master and point the cname to that server?

Any help and links to documentation is greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jonathan.Iam,

if you still need an answer on this topic, here is one 🙂

in older Splunk releases it used to be 24 hours before you get into trouble if your license master is gone.

Now with Splunk 6.1.3, if the license master is down or unreachable for any reason, the license slave starts a 72 hour timer. If the license slave cannot reach the license master for 72 hours, search is blocked on the license slave (although indexing continues).

Nevertheless here is the doc about How to swap the license master

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...