Installation

How to apply licenses at a more granular, per-user level in order to isolate usage?

bosburn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We're currently looking at setting up a centralized "Splunk Service" within our organization. The idea would be that different user groups could use some common infrastructure which they wouldn't have to manage, and all they'd have to do is define their dashboards, searches, etc. We would like to be able to "carve up" our license to isolate each user group from the others so that one misbehaving user sending too many logs won't leave the others with a license violation.

I understand that one way of setting this up is with a common license manager and multiple indexers and license pools, but handling several indexers would increase our support load, plus we would need more hardware.

Are there any other options? Has anybody set up anything similar?

Labels (2)

jimodonald
Contributor

The easiest method would be to set up separate indexers for each internal customer. This way you could set up different license pools for each customer. Clearly that would require you to manage groups of indexers and not your preferred method.

Alternatively, you can set up a CSV as a lookup table mapping the indexers on shared infrastructure to the internal customers and run a daily report to compare the actual indexed usage to the budgeted indexed usage by customer. There will not be any hard limits doing it this way, but it is a start with chargeback to the various business units.

0 Karma

jmheaton
Path Finder

I'm not sure if this is possible for your current environment or even recommended to do as the idea of this could collapse a star.
But what about running multiple instances of Splunk on a single indexer. Point the storage to separate places, configure the server.conf and the inputs.conf differently for the multiple instances. I have done this before on search heads and locally when i am testing a new app.
After you have the multiple instances open, link them up to your license and they should appear as two different indxers to split your license with.

0 Karma

alexiri
Communicator

This isn't any better than running multiple indexers on separate machines (or VMs). As a matter of fact, it's even worse, as it is more complicated and less standard.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...