Installation

How to Move License from One License Master to Another

rgcurry
Contributor

I am migrating my implementation to a new platform. Part of that process I want to move the "production" license files from the old to the new platform, then the temp license from the new to the old platform so that I can keep both platforms working for a week to assure everything is OK with this migration.

Can I simply copy the *.lic files between the two license master servers to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, you can install the license file on the new license-master.

As long as there is no interaction between the clusters.
(a search head will complain if 2 peers have the same license)

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, you can install the license file on the new license-master.

As long as there is no interaction between the clusters.
(a search head will complain if 2 peers have the same license)

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No, in a group of servers (indexers, search-heads, license-master/slaves) the license has to be unique. If a license key is in duplicate, the search-heads or the indexers will complain and disable the search.

The simple solution is to make your other search-head a license-slave of your current license-master.

0 Karma

arkonner
Path Finder

Presently I have a master server with the indexes plus a search head just installed with demo version - I am planning to copy the lic file from the master to the new search head - then I will configure the master as slave server - On the search head using the GUI I will configure this server as part of "enterprice" copying the server.cfg and the lic file - Sounds good?

0 Karma

chimbudp
Contributor

Can i have 2 search heads independent , but still use the same license .
Both the search heads wanted to search the same data (INDEXERS are common)

Need: 1 search head dedicated to user triggered Splunk searches , other for saved/scheduled searches.

Will this implementation work ? OR the Indexers complaint ?

0 Karma

rgcurry
Contributor

"As long as there is no interaction between the clusters."
No, there is none. This is a complete move from one set of servers to another and each operate independently. The old servers will be shut down in a week after everything is confirmed operating as needed and wanted on the new platform.

Thanks Yann! Good to hear from you again.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...